Heron sighting!!!!!!!!!

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Well the last four or five days my fish have not been coming up to see me when its feeding time.I could see them down low but not the usual frenzy. I had a feeling that they had been spooked by something. We had some rain and it cooled the water off some over night and I was thinking that might be the issue.
Yesterday I was working on my aquaponic garden setup and this 4' tall white heron lands right on the edge of the pond no more then 8' from me and juist stares at me.
nananananana.gif
I noticed my neighbor feeding one the other day and told him not to. We are surrounded by lakes in the neighborhood here and this is the first time I have seen one in MY yard. I scared him away and he flew to the top of my pool screen enclosure, I then threw an empty bud light bottle(almost hit it) at him. I ripped a hole in my pool screen instead.
I feed my fish an hour later and all my nice ones are accounted for. Still have not seen some of the fancy goldfish but they do not eat like the koi do. I only have about 3 feet of visability right now.
Today I will put the net back over the pond. Still working on a folding frame for it.
Now I know what was spooking them.
Thanks all.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Waterbug said:
OK, so I get people here love nature and that nature doesn't included anything other than pet fish and dogs. Everything else is to be killed on sight. But throwing a Bud Light bottle? Isn't that a bit low rent? Maybe carma ripped the screen.

I love all nature. I didn't spend hours setting up my pond to have it picked clean by a bird that I dont want in my yard. If it was a cat or racoon I would have done the same thing.
I have heard alot worse stories then this about what would be done if one was found.
To call me "low rent" you sir need to be put in you place. Would a Merlot bottle have been a better choice?
In your 50 years of ponding how have you handled this situation.
Don't call me out untill you have walked in MY shoes.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
One more thing on this. I consider any creature that comes into my yard a threat. If you are not welcome stay away. I have two armidallos that have lived in my yard for the past 5 years. They don't mess with the pond so they can stay.
If a stranger is in my yard should I invite him in for tea? NO. He is going to be on the wrong end of some buckshot. :lol:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I'm only going to say this once.... PLAY NICE!

Any more inflamatory comments will be reason for a time out or to be BANNED!

I have sat by and watched, hoping this would settle down since there seems to be a lot of knowledge that could be shared. I have read and learned from some of the postings.

No one is going to change their mind about how they treat predators in thier yard, so it does not benefit the forum to have any more discussion on how they should not be harmed. If it bothers you, move to another thread or hit the off button.

Arizona is about to pass a law about carrying conceiled weapons without a permit, if you are that passionate about shooting, find a weapons forum that you can preach on there.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
This thread is about heron sightings, it is going to get opinions. I personally have had several Koi worth over $1000 each taken by an egret. If you don't agree with a post, then move on or ignore it. There are hundreds of threads that do not discuss how to deal with predators. Personal attacks are not allowed on this forum and will not be tolerated.

You have a lot of good experience and quite a bit of your advice is in alignment with mine. Some of these topics have been vigorously debated by folks with opposing views. I have to respect them even if I do not agree.

I suggest the best way to handle controversial subjects is to ignore them. That is how I have learned to control my temper. Trust me, there are plenty of times I have to bite my tounge and just sit here and watch what happens. We have folks here that are so hard headed, that nothing gets through to them. However, they are civil, and in many other subjects very helpful, so we tolerate them.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Thank you DrDave. I was not meaning to ruffle any feathers so to speak. I was wrong to toss a bottle but the bird was not welcome. I did get cought up in the moment with my actions and my response to some comments. I have even given up fishing since getting into ponding. I have also hooked a sea bird that was diving for my bait. I did the right thing and reeled him in solwly and removed the hook and set him free. All while being bit three times by it. My son got a few laughs from that.

I really am a good guy.

Peace to all.

PS3

Reaction score
we had trouble with a bird in my area thats why my dad and me madethe pcv net to go over the pond. but the big bird ate my aunts fish across the stfrom me and my other friend has a 500 gallon pond and the bird ate a few of his fish allso i think the brid was a egret

Reaction score
I have had heron in my backyard too but they never got a fish. I think my pond is too deep (4 feet) I also had a fish hawk swoop in and get a nice 12 inch Koi. I was bummed about the fish but it sure was amazing to watch that bird carying it back to its nest. I've never had one come again since we planted trees behind the pond.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
This my first heron sighting in my yard. I have had mature osprey do flybys over the pond but never had them get to close to get fish. To mush other obsticals for them to get a clean grab and still fly away. It is quite an amazing sight. I love ospreys more then herons. They are beautiful birds.

Ask a Question