A part of the story

Reaction score
As I said, I write novels. I have finished three and am halfway through the fourth. This started as a lark when JW (Angelica in the books) and I met on another forum. I wrote a few chapters, they encouraged me and it turned into a book. every morning i would post up the next chapter. They would help me spot typos and make suggestions as well as catch mistakes. They enjoyed it and I included other forum members.

So, I wanted to put one chapter up here for you to grade me on. Look for mistakes, make suggestions and you may find yourself in my next book. My wife Vicki (Victoria) is my co author. She gives me a lot of really great ideas and is my inspiration. She never had children but always had a natural gift with animals, they just gravitate to her. We moved out to the country and there is an abandoned house across the street. The man died and left it to his son. His wife hates it even though it is beautiful riverfront property. He showed up twice last year to mow the grass and she just sat in the car. I know they saw the dog, they had to and knew who she was.

My wife figured it out. There is a black and white dog who stays there. One ear is deformed, it lays back over her head. We learned that the man behind us shot her because he was afraid that she would bite his kids. She never barks at anyone and slinks into that yard or the woods when anyone approaches. She sits every day looking down the road, waiting for her master to come home. She has done this for five years now. She is nobody's dog. Wild and unapproachable until she met Vicki. We began feeding her and she will now lay with her head in Vicki's lap. The conversation that Vicki (Victoria) has in this book is exactly the same thing that she said to this dog. a lot of my books are based on true life. The chapter is too long to post in it's entirety, so I will put up a little at a time.

I hope that you will comment and make suggestions. This is how I got started writing, with JW encouraging me on. So with no further ado, let me take you to Port Royal, Jamaica, 1628 to a seedy pirate tavern called "The Rat's Nest". Felipe, the main character is a pirate seeking new men....

Shouting was coming from the bar and the bar fell silent. They looked and saw Paco, one of Felipe's deck hands confronting another man.
“You accost and grab my wife when she walks by?” the man glared at Paco.
“The way that she dresses, I thought that she was a prostitute.” Paco sneered.
The man was outraged, he drew his sword and made quick work of Paco. Felipe and the others approached him, “Excuse the behavior of my deckhand. His mouth always worked faster than his mind, I offer apologies for actions.” Felipe said.
He turned to John who was standing at his side, “Pack your belongings and meet us at the harbor in the morning. The Vengeance will send a boat out for you.”
Four of Felipe's men grabbed Paco by his hands and feet and carried him from the tavern, they would bury him at sea the next day.

CHAPTER FORTY ONE

NOBODY'S DOG

The women were sitting at the pavilion. Little Andre was toddling around now on his bowed legs cooing happily. He reached up to the table and grabbed a large, thin clay bowl and pulled it to the floor breaking it.
“Andre!” Angelica shouted, “Look at what you have done, that was our food cooler!”
Shayla smiled picking up the pieces, “It is no problem, we will simply make another.”
“I have always wanted to see how you make a bowl.” Victoria said helping her.
“Well, we never had any broken, but now that we have all of these children, you had best learn.” Shayla said, smiling and tousling Andrea's hair. He smiled and quickly waddled away, “Come with me.” she said, picking up a large basket.
“I will watch the babies.” Marianna smiled.

They followed Shayla to the waterfall. Walking along the edge where it flowed out to a small stream she knelt down and began digging some soft brown clay out of the bank. She put a large pile into the basket, then picked several banana leaves and placed them on top of the clay.
Together they walked back to the pavilion, a butterfly landed on Victoria's shoulder and they all stopped to watch it slowly open and close it's beautiful wings, “Do all wild things love you?” Shayla asked.
“Yes.” Angelica replied, “Felipe is a good example.” The butterfly took flight and they walked on.

Arriving back at the pavilion, Shayla took a small square board and placed it on the round table in the corner. She then arranged the large banana leaves out like a fan in a circle coming out from the center. They all sat in a circle. Shayla dug the clay out and put the large blob in the center of the circle of leaves and patted it round with her hands. She then dipped her hands into a bucket of water and held them around the clay.
“Spin the table.” she said.
The round table stood on a short, stout pole that went into a hole in the floor. Victoria and Angelica began to spin the table as Shayla held her hands around the clay shaping it as is spun.
“I always thought the table turned to make it easier to get the food. You do not have to get up to get to the potatoes.” Angelica said.
“Well, as I said, we never had bowls broken before, but now we have children." She smiled as her hands expertly plunged into the center of the clay making the inside of the bowl, "As you know, this bowl sits inside of the larger, thicker bowl. The outer one is thick to hold in the cool, the inner one is very thin to let the cool transmit through it. We then just fill the sides up with sand and wet it. As the water evaporates, it makes the inner bowl cool. That way our tomatoes last a lot longer. They would spoil in two days in this environment, in this, they last a week. There, it is finished. We now take the board off and put it in the sun. The banana leaves will dry out and rot, we can then easily peel them off of the bottom of the bowl once it is dry and hard. In the sun, this will take three days.”

She rose and picked the board up, they heard a shout then a volley of cannon fire from the cove, “The men have returned!” she said and they hurried down to the beach.
The ships were sailing into the harbor. They all furled their sails and dropped anchor. The men dove overboard and began swimming to the shore as the women smiled. Soon they were all ashore hugging their wives as longboats began shuttling more of them to the shore.
A large man with light hair and a pretty blond haired woman stepped off of a boat and waded to the shore, “This is John and his wife Debra, meet my wife Victoria.” Felipe smiled.
Jose Lopez shook his head, “More women, more talking, new gossip.” he said and was elbowed in the ribs by Gabriela.

They all began walking toward the pavilion. Nobody really noticed the dog sitting there looking expectantly out toward the ships. She was a female, black and white with a slightly fluffy tail, a mutt of mixed breed. One ear was deformed and hung over the top of her head even in the strong breeze while the other hung down normally. After a while, she was alone on the beach staring out at the ships. The sun went down and she did not move. All night she kept up her silent vigil, waiting for her master to return.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks Bullfrog that was like a blast from the past reading about those familiar characters. I missed reading your stories and can't wait to get your book even tho I've already pretty much read it. I will keep it forever as a keepsake :)

Reaction score
The next morning after breakfast, Felipe announced that they needed to scrape the barnacles off of the hull of their sips to reduce the drag and increase their speed and maneuverability should they come into battle.
“I will help, I can hold my breath for a very long time and I am a very strong swimmer.” John said.
“He is a very strong lover also.” Debra winked and smiled at him getting a giggle from the women at the table.
Jose just looked at the laughing women, “I will join you also, it is quiet underwater.” he smiled. Gabriela threw a piece of fruit at him as he ducked then walked away.

The men wen to the tool shop and got long and short handled scrapers, then walked down to the shore. As they came out of the foliage they saw the dog sitting forlornly on the shore, watching the ships, “Paco's dog.” Jean Pierre pointed.
Felipe whistled and called out to the dog, she put her tail between her legs and ran into the bushes, “Oh well, she will get hungry sooner or later and come back to the pavilion.”

They got into the longboats and rowed out to the ships and tied off to the sides. Men began scraping the sides of the ship as far down as they could reach with the long handled scrapers as others dove in and began working on the bottom.

They worked until the sun was straight overhead, then began rowing back to the shore. Again Felipe saw the dog staring out at the ships. He called out to it as they approached, but again it ran into the bushes peeking out at the ships.

Walking to the pavilion, the women saw them coming and began putting large plates of sliced ham and bowls of spicy, steaming beans at the table. The food was very good, hot, fresh baked bread was passed around and Debra marveled openly at how good they ate there as did John, “He does not miss any meals.” she said pinching his cheek. John just smiled back and continued eating.

Felipe knew better than to tell Victoria anything about the dog. He knew that she would not rest until the matter was resolved and they had work to do. But, when he finished eating she noticed him walk to the end of the table and carve off a large piece of ham, “I am still hungry, I will eat this on the way.”

They walked again back to the shore, Felipe called out to the dog which looked at him. He held the ham out, then tossed it to the dog. The dog looked at it, then looked back out to sea, “She has to be hungry.” he said.
“Come along, she will eat when we leave.” Batu said.

Again they worked all day until the evening then rowed back to the shore. The dog again slipped into the bushes watching from the treeline. The ham was untouched and Felipe stopped looking at it, then back at the dog.
Batu looked at him, “She will eat sooner or later Felipe, forget about it.”
They walked back to the pavilion, had a good supper, then sat around a fire swapping war stories with John and sipping brandy and rum. All night again, the dog kept up her silent vigil, she was still there when the sun rose.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Poor pup, I'm thinking things are gonna turn around for the good of this dog................I hope :regular_waving_emot Ham sounds real good to me right about now :cool:

Reaction score
This chapter was taken from a true story JW, so you know with Vicki involved it will have a happy ending. She had to go to the hospital in Galveston and the dog must have seen her leave. Now, instead of staring down the road she sits and stares at our house. She wants a home, but even more, she misses the love that she once had. Vicki left yesterday as her appointment was early. As usual, I sat on the porch with my rum and coke, the dog was not there.

The last night Vicki was here she went out to the dog and the dog did a happy dance, let her pet it and she almost got it into the yard but my voice scaird her, you know how deep my voice is. Anyway, I almost forgot and had to go back to the porch this morning before work. I poured a large serving of dog food into a bowl and fed her. She actually let me pet her for the first time. Soon, she won't be "Nobody's Dog." but will be Vicki's dog. Anyway, on with the story...

They walked back to the pavilion, had a good supper, then sat around a fire swapping war stories with John and sipping brandy and rum. All night again, the dog kept up her silent vigil, she was still there when the sun rose.
This went on for three days and after the third day, Victoria became curious when again Felipe took a large piece of meat to the shore with him. She waited, then followed them. She saw him call out to the dog and throw the meat. The dog ran back into the bushes.

She hurried to him, “Whose dog is that?”
“That is nobody's dog. She belonged to Paco, but he got himself killed insulting another man's wife in Jamaica, now she is nobody's dog.”
Victoria put her hands on her hips and looked at him, “And she has been here for three days?”
“And nights, she is here in the morning when we get here also, watching the ships.”
“Well of course, she is waiting for her master.” she looked toward the dog in the bushes watching her.
“Who will never return. I have tried feeding her every day, but she will not eat.” Felipe said.
“That is because food is not what she misses, she misses the love that Paco gave her.” she began to softly call out to the dog, wiggling her fingers.
“It is of no use, she will not come to you. She is wild now.” Felipe said. Victoria ignored him and continued to call out softly to the dog, Very well, have it your way. Try as you will she will not come to you.” again Victoria called out to the dog.

Felipe looked at Jean Pierre who just nodded his head sideways toward the ships. They walked to the longboats, then rowed out to the ships. All day, whenever Felipe looked to the shore, he could see Victoria kneeling down and wiggling her fingers toward the bushes.

At noon they rowed back for lunch. Felipe approached Victoria, “Come, eat lunch.”
“I do not want lunch, I am not hungry.”
“You have to be hungry, you have been here all day.” he said.
“Just bring some back for the dog.”
“It is of no use, she will not eat.” Felipe said.
“She will eat.” Victoria said.

Reluctantly, Felipe turned and walked toward the pavilion following the rest of the men. He knew how she was about animals and that there was no talking her out of this. After lunch, he walked up to her with a thick piece of roast and handed it to her. She thanked him and called out to the dog. The men went back to work.
As the sun set, they rowed back. Felipe approached Victoria and spoke quietly, “Please, come back and eat. She will be here in the morning. Eventually she will have to eat.”
Victoria looked at him with tears in her eyes, “But this tears at my heart.”
“As it does mine, she will eat, come, please.” he took her hand and walked her back to the pavilion.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I know Vicki does love her animals and I'm glad this dog will have a good home.
I am enjoying the story Bullfrog. I love all critters and have brought home many in my time. Not so much any more as DH is retired and wants to see the sights w/o worrying about animals so my cats and goldfish will have to suffice.........for now anyways :lol:

Reaction score
Our new tenants will feed the critters if we leave. We have the toy hauler now so we can load the Harley up and go to Galveston. JW has already seen this picture but now is as good a time as any to show the people here what i look like. Plus it shows the bike and the toy hauler. Please don't hold the way that I look against me. I'm really a nice guy. Just ask Angelica... I mean JW...

bike001.jpg

Reaction score
I just retired as a paramedic, again. This picture is the one that I use on my book but it is cropped there.

medic002.jpg

I'm half way through editing the first paperback. As soon as I approve it, it will be for sale, here is the cover...

BookCoverPreviewdo-2.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Let me know when the paperback version is ready for me to order after you get through approving it. I know you can get the online version but I must have the material one in my hot little hands, lol! Someday it may be worth a lot of money but I will decline on selling it my friend. It is a reminder to me of all the fun it was reading it w/ all our other online friends and discussing it and seeing you accomplish so much :lol:

And yes all of you.............. Bullfrog is not scary at all. He's led a rather colorful life but he's a really nice person under that gruff biker looking exterior :lol:

Reaction score
Well, I don't know about it being worth a lot of money someday but at least you will know that you are one of the characters. I read almost half of it and only found two typos, I left an a off the end of Andreas and there is an extra space before a period. The cool thing about on demand printing is once I edit and upload it, it's done and stored.

Five hundred people can order a book from 500 different authors in one day. They just enter the codes and a super computer prints out all 500 different books and the covers.

Reaction score
For three more days this went on. That morning Victoria got up from the table and ladled some beef stew into a bowl, Felipe just watched her. She walked toward the beach as he finished his plate, then the men walked together toward the beach.

When they came to the end of the trail, Felipe's mouth hung open and he stopped, pointing. Victoria was kneeling down waving her fingers as the dog did a happy dance looking at her, approaching, then running back a little with it's tail wagging happily, “Well I will be damned.” he said smiling.

As he approached, the dog saw him and walked quickly back into the jungle. Victoria smiled at him, “She ate!” She will not come to me yet, but she ate.”
Felipe just smiled at her, “Amazing.” he said. Then he joined the men in the longboats.

As the days passed, the dog got closer to her. One day Jean Pierre tapped Felipe on the shoulder and pointed to the shore. Victoria was petting the dog and scratching behind her ear. Felipe smiled and went back to work, diving beneath the ship scraping barnacles.

The sun was again setting as they made shore. He approached Victoria and the dog walked back toward the jungle, but stopped at the edge, then sat and looked a t her, “Come, she is eating now.” he said.
“Give me just a few more minutes alone with her. She will not come out while you are here.”

Felipe kissed her then followed the line of men toward the pavilion. Victoria called out to the dog as soon as they disappeared into the jungle. The dog came out and sat at her feet.
She stroked the dog gently and spoke softly to her, “He did not leave you you know, he died. He is not coming back, but you will see him again someday. I am your only friend right now.”
The dog looked at her with large brown eyes. Victoria had a strange feeling that the dog was understanding what she was saying. She continued, “I am your friend now, will you trust me and be my friend?”

The dog seemed to smile at her, then laid it's head in her lap. She stroked it, then stood up, Come along.” she said.

Jean Pierre was chewing a bite of food, he touched Felipe's shoulder and pointed with his fork. Felipe looked and saw Victoria smiling walking back to the pavilion with the dog following her, wagging it's tail. “Well I will be damned.” he said.
Jose looked up and frowned, “Is it a female?” he asked.
Gabriela poked him in the ribs. He smiled and put a large piece of meat into his mouth and chewed.

That is the end of this chapter and as I said it is a true story that is happening right now in Spurger, Texas. The dog will probably be in our yard this weekend. My ideas come to me like this, the part about the cooler is an ancient technology that I read about in National Geographic this week.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice bike, nice looking guy on the bike lol ......................love dogs!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Let us know how it goes w/ the real dog when it's finally sitting on your front porch licking your face while you drink your brew :rolleyes:
That was a nice story and I too love dogs
frisbee_dog.gif

Reaction score
Will do JW, Vicki is home now so she feeds her in the evening and I feed her in the morning on the way to work. It won't be long now until she is sitting on our porch. Here is a part of the book I'm working on now. You are pregnant...

CHAPTER EIGHT

THE WATERFALL

Angelica was standing underneath the waterfall as it thundered down onto her head. “What do you think of me now? I told you that I would do this.” she shouted as she staggered, trying to keep her feet as the water pounded down on her.
“I think that you have lost your mind, again.” Victoria shouted back at her.

Angelica turned her face up into the cascading water letting it run over her face. She then waded out to where Victoria stood neck deep in the cool, clear water.
“I have something to tell you.” Angelica said.
“So tell me.” Victoria replied smiling.
“I too am with child.”
“Oh my God! Why did you not tell me sooner?”
“I have not even told Jean Pierre yet, as you know, we are not betrothed. I do not know how he will react.”
“What do you mean you do not know how he will react? You know that he loves you.”
“Yes, I know that he loves me, but he may not want the responsibility of a child.”
“That is ridiculous, Jean Pierre is a good man.”
“Yes, he is. But he has always been free to do as he chooses, a child will change everything.”
“You know Jean Pierre better than anyone, close your eyes and describe him to me, what he is like. Act as if I do not know him.”

Angelica closed her eyes and thought for a moment, “The main thing about Jean Pierre’s character is his fierce devotion, his loyalty to Felipe. He is always the first to raise his sword and take the oath that he will stand beside him to the death. Even at Belize when they were badly outnumbered, he was willing to fight and die beside him, he would never flee.”

“Go on.” Victoria said.
“He is very brave and daring, but he is also somewhat of an enigma, a puzzle.”
“In what way?”
“As fierce of a fighting man that he is, he is also very gentle. I saw the tender way that he handled Juan Carlos and Neo when they were babies, he even changed their diapers at times. But he will slit a man’s throat with his straight razor in a second.”
“Keep talking.”

“He is very shrewd, he can tell in an instant if a person is lying or concealing something. When the secret document was found in the false bottom of the cigar box on that ship, it was Jean Pierre who discovered it. The man’s eyes gave him away.”

“So, he is fiercely loyal and devoted to those that he cares about, the first one to fight, he never retreats, brave and daring, very smart and very gentle and good with babies. What makes you think that he would just drop you and his child and leave?”

Angelica looked down as she thought, “I guess that I am just feeling insecure about it, I know in my heart that he would not leave, I just need to convince my head of it.”
“That is it, now, stop being silly, go and tell him now.”
They swam to the edge, got dressed, then walked back to the village.

Ask a Question