above ground pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm building my first pond now (see attached). I am using 4x6x10 pt lumber. My yard is slanted so I had to dig down to get a level surface. These boards are very heavy. I am running rebar through them and going to pour concrete into the holes. The lumbar is $20 each at Home Depot. I need about 28 so the cost is < $600. Normally I would not get lumber at Home Depot, but after bringing the first 8 home with my car (and having one crack the wind shield) I went to HD so I

Attachments

• pond1.JPG
    pond1.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 485

jezabell79

New but not...
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
as you may know i have a pond but its in my front garden .. i would really like another in my back garden maybe with some more fancey fish . would love it to be a raised pond so my disabled son could get to maybe touch the fish from his wheelchair and help to feed them .. i dont have a clue if i could build this but it would need to be as cheep as possible ... so i thought i would ask you guys for some ideas ?
My koi pond is actually a repurposed hot tub. It was free, I built my filters and fountain
My pumps came from harbor freight, cheap, and I absolutely love it

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I'm building my first pond now (see attached). I am using 4x6x10 pt lumber. My yard is slanted so I had to dig down to get a level surface. These boards are very heavy. I am running rebar through them and going to pour concrete into the holes. The lumbar is $20 each at Home Depot. I need about 28 so the cost is < $600. Normally I would not get lumber at Home Depot, but after bringing the first 8 home with my car (and having one crack the wind shield) I went to HD so I

When you're finished with the build and the liner install, it's an easy upgrade to face the wood in stone. All that's needed is a diamond blade on a worm-drive saw, a cold chisel, hammer and some PL2000 construction adhesive. Choose the stone depending on the look that you want to achieve. Grouting is easy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
First of all, I think it's a great idea to build raised ponds for your son to enjoy. I have spent a fair amount of time in a chair, and although I am mobile now, I still would have a hard time working on an in-ground pond. When I built my 300 gallon pond, I used 2x12's with 4x4's on the outside corners to screw everything together, and then capped with 2x6's. Luckily I had all I needed around here from previous projects, but to buy should not be too far out of pocket. I am planning more ponds , and am using the same style and materials.

Good luck, Jim.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
My first pond was in a stock tank that i purchased from Tractor supply. It was about 700 gallons and probably 2 ft deep. I actually got a great deal on it because the drain plug was mussing but my husband found one in the plumbing dept. You could hide the outside with retaining wall rocks or railroad ties.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have one of those stock tanks also. I am hoping to make a second pond and plant tank with it. Does yours keep fish over the winter above ground?

Ask a Question