According to my fish, Spring has arrived!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If the male bees had access to mini xboxes, I’d say they were much like teenage boys! Jw, I adore your pictures, what is that burgundy and green flower? And the Curley-q tree? Only flowered here right now are the potted bulbs I started inside. Temps still dropping to below freezing at night, and I’m afraid I’ve lost a lot of the potted bulbs I had outside, but the “ wild” bulbs are just peeking their leaf tops out. I put these outside today, hope the bees find them.

Attachments

• 54311002-88B1-4450-96F4-A7800F41B364.jpeg
    54311002-88B1-4450-96F4-A7800F41B364.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 36
  • FC63BB6C-3C2A-419A-AB9E-D7417DB8EE01.jpeg
    FC63BB6C-3C2A-419A-AB9E-D7417DB8EE01.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 39
Reaction score
Country
United States
We're in Atlanta and it's spring here too! We took the net off the pond last weekend, the greens are beginning to sprout, fish are getting feisty and our frogs are back :D

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes! I have frog eggs already! 2 weeks ago we had 8 inches of snow and now I have a very busy ecosystem! It is so exciting to watch! Even my pond plants are starting to pop back up!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I saw two frogs when I removed the bubble wrap from the skimmer. A bit slow in moving, I carefully put them into the pond.
I got our pond up and running a bit earlier than I usually do. But we are hitting 60's next week.

the bog is greening up nicely, if the deer quit snacking on it

Reaction score
Country
United States
@addy1 only people w/bees and those who have been taught about them will understand the huge love and need for Dandelions :happy:
My neighbors keep bees and I have been finding about 30 a day dead in my covered hottub :( what can I do?! They get in and then can't get out. This is the first time they have gone for the hottub, it's usually the pool. I find it strange they come to the pool with the harsh chemicals and don't go to my chemical free pond!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe you could put in some fake floating lily pads for them to crawl up on. That won't solve the problem of them getting out tho. You'd have to somehow plug up the gaps where they enter. I don't have a hot tub so maybe someone who does can help you more than me.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My neighbors keep bees and I have been finding about 30 a day dead in my covered hottub
Talk to your neighbors see if they would set up a small stock tank or pot or anything that holds water. Tell them you find dead bees all of the time in your hot tub. Cover the surface with something that floats, corks, straw, pool noodles, have them put in some lemon grass oil, a bit of salt, the bees will find it and it will become their watering spot. Bees like smelly water.

Even a shallow tray filled with pea gravel with water works. Algae grows and they love it. Put a upside down liter bottle of water so water constantly flows into it.

We have a salt water hot tub, have it sealed well enough they can not get in. But they come flying when we are in it. They love the salt water. We have enough ponds, bogs, stream etc each hive has its favorite drinking spot.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My neighbors keep bees and I have been finding about 30 a day dead in my covered hottub :( what can I do?! They get in and then can't get out. This is the first time they have gone for the hottub, it's usually the pool. I find it strange they come to the pool with the harsh chemicals and don't go to my chemical free pond!
Cover the hot tub so they can't fall in and provide a small dish of water for them to make honey and leave door open so they can get back out till they move on.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
don't go to my chemical free pond!
Our bees don't drink out of the big ponds with fish. They like plant covered ponds. Mine with parrots feather, bog bean, any floating plant the bees are there all of the time. Does your pond have a shallow slow moving or non moving spot with plants? That will attract them. Let some algae grow they love string algae. I let it grow in my no fish slow moving water loop pond. The bees love it! They need landing spots or they drown.

Ask a Question