Addicted

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Yup, I am ready to admit my addiction. Spring is here with all its new life springing up, right along with all my ideas for more things to do to the pond. Picked up my first 5 water hyacinths today, will get more, but I am afraid we are not yet out of the woods with frost.

Yes... I did it, I got 2 beautiful butterfly koi this morning :lol: . These will be the only koi I keep along with my shubs and comets. I had some beautiful offspring that survived the winter and I will adopt out the solid orange comets. They seem quite happy so far and they are quite loveley. Of course, as I have never done koi I got the cheapies, 3-4" specimens, they are a beautiful gold color with black and one seem to have a bit of irredecent blue and the other a little red.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Thanks KoiKeeper! I am attaching pics of my new babies.

One year ago we had no fish and thought we wouln't go there. Now I found I love pond gardening and learning about (it doesn't need water- LOL), got the fish, went through a breeding season and the coldest/longest winter I remember- everyone survived! Even the frogs came ack from last year.

The butterfly are hybrids and from what I have read pretty hardy, so I sould do OK.

Attachments

• Two koi.JPG
    Two koi.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 330
  • New koi2.JPG
    New koi2.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 284
  • New koi.JPG
    New koi.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 334
  • Koi and comet.JPG
    Koi and comet.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 284

cuesport

Pool Shark
Reaction score
It's hard to believe how attached you can get to your fish and how relaxing a pond can be!! I wish I did this 30 years ago! The problem is that I keep telling myself that I have a ton of things to do but I can't bring myself to leave the pond. I suppose there are worse things in life :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Yes Cue- same here. I have just about given up on gardening and focusing on my pond. I have a research paper due in two days and here I am pondside again! Got a lobeloa and two vari cattails today. Luckily hubby loves the pond and the joy it gives me (us).

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Addicted is right. My wife doesn't understand the pond full of water with fish in it, and she thinks my hobby is expensive. I don't hunt any more, (Vietnam Vet), I don't golf, and I don't go fishing. I don't ask for much and I'm house broken. What more could a wife ask for?

I love my small pond and fish.

Happy ponding,

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have a butterfly koi that looks a lot like that first one(The one that is yellow and white), only it's head is completely yellow and its body is completely white. It has got to be one of my favorite fish that I have. (Unfortunately, I saw it "flashing" yesterday...)

Reaction score
check your water parameters--flashing usually means that there is somethiing in the water quality they don't like and feels uncomfortable. Do a partial water change of at least 35%. But do get a test kit and test!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Oldmarine,

Sorry your wife does not appreciate the fine art of ponding . Thank you for serving our country! Glad you are here now to enjoy this beautiful hobby.

My favorite place to be is on my deck by the pond with my binoculars and watching the fish andthe birds. We are at the base of a small mountain, so we get a lot of wildlife.

Good luck and by the way I looked at your pics, nice pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Zman, hope the fish are OK. The yellow butterfly is getting some pretty red on the top of his back. He is quite metallic looking. Good luck with him.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Yes, I know the feeling! I had hubby buy me 3 koi today. I swear I won't buy any more :) , really! I mean it this time!!! I do not know how it happens, but I love these guys, too!

Ask a Question