Adding a bog to an existing pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My bog is built from lumber so notched out a section and fitted liner into the notch. Secured with PL roof cement.
Great, the notch is leak proof since the liner covers it. Good thinking!
I'm itching on doing this bog! Spring fever I guess.
Still snow on the ground here in northeastern PA, but it just hit 60F degrees! Hasn't been that warm here in quite a while.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Still trying how to put a bog on a 5' deep above ground pond! Right now using window box mini bogs.
How about a stock tank with a wooden frame or table under it. The support would need to be strong obviously.
Or just build something out of wood and put underlayment and liner in it. Probably be cheaper than a stock tank.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I currently havery a 150 gallon stock tank I am using as a filter. It's the right height but would need to be moved closer to the pond. I have another 55 gallon filter around here somewhere that I could put into use. The very thought of buying more pea gravel and carrying down there makes me hurt! 11 window box bogs do good once they get going.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I took a rake, clippers etc groomed the bog yesterday. Raking up a lot of leaves, dead branches, etc. Does not look real groomed but it is better. A lot of root mass, I debate digging some out but never do. Ready to fire it up. Hauling the pump down today to hook it up, get it running. The 20 degrees above normal greened up my clear pond in one day, lol. Once the bog is running it will clear right back up.

Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm a little late to this thread, but had the same issues building an above ground bog a couple of years ago. I built a wooden frame, lined it with EPDM, installed the piping as Addy1 described, (the only difference was I laid my pipe on bricks that were laid on the bottom a few feet apart with two layers of liner under them.

Beginning construction
DSC00768.JPG

Adding the walls
DSC00779.JPG

Adding piping
DSC00816.JPG

Checking for leaks
DSC00794.JPG

Time out for a little playing
DSC00808.JPG

Filled with pea gravel and nearly finished top edge.
DSC00843.JPG

The pond water is pumped into one end of the bog, perculates through the gravel then surfaces to flow to the other end. It's a little hard to tell, but the end is about 4" lower than the main body of the bog. When the water reaches that level it spills into a catch box then spills into the sluice which in turn runs under the "dock" boards and back into the pond.
DSC00911.JPG

Ask a Question