Adding a bog to an existing pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm having trouble envisioning how to contruct the point where the water flows from the new bog into the existing pond.

My pond is 1500 gallons with EPDM liner.

I was thinking about getting a small piece of liner for the bog and have it overlap into the pond. I'm guessing the bog liner will have to be pitched toward the pond.
But how do I keep the bog material ( pea gravel, etc ) from washing out into the pond?
Don't I need some type of perforated wall or other material to allow just the water to pass through? Can I achieve this with one or two PVC pipes? But again, how do I filter the pea gravel out?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Your bog is basically a small pond that is a little above your pond level. The water moves via a low point from the bog to the pond.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your bog is basically a small pond that is a little above your pond level. The water moves via a low point from the bog to the pond.

Somewhat like this.
bogg.jpg

As far as keeping the pea gravel from being moved into the pond, I use larger rocks to hold it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Mrsclem, thanks for the response. I understand the concept, but I'm worried that the contents of the bog will wash out into the pond.
I just came up with an idea...I can pile up a bunch of large stones higher than the pea gravel along the last foot or so of the bog. This will act as a barrier that will only let water through.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can control how large of an area flows back to the pond. You can go entire length of bog or just a small area. I use a 10" chimney flue liner as a spillway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You can control how large of an area flows back to the pond. You can go entire length of bog or just a small area. I use a 10" chimney flue liner as a spillway.
Thanks again. I was wondering what material your flue liner is made of ( terra-cotta? ) and how you incorporated it into the transition between bog and pond.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Bogs do a great job of filtering aND clearing water. My pond was turning to pea soup, couldn't see anything. 24 hours after starting bog-

Attachments

• 20190313_130031.jpg
    20190313_130031.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 289

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bog is around a foot higher than the pond. I have a wall between the bog and pond covered with liner, a waterfall rock around 3 feet wide is the flow back into the pond.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I am so happy you asked this question! I am thinking of adding a bog to mine but was going to use a stock tank. I know that the return needs to be below the top of the gravel but I am struggling with how to get the water back into the pond.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm a little confused by you saying the return needs to be below the gravel. The water flowing in needs to be below the gravel so it's an up flow system. A 3-4" pvc pipe fitted near the top of the stock tank could serve as your return.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm a little confused by you saying the return needs to be below the gravel. The water flowing in needs to be below the gravel so it's an up flow system. A 3-4" pvc pipe fitted near the top of the stock tank could serve as your return.
I thought that the return pipe needed to be below the top of the gravel as well so that the water has to work through the gravel to return to the pond.

Ask a Question