Adding a Filter

Reaction score
I am looking to add a filter to my setup, currently I have a small waterfall filter, which is working fine, water parameters are perfect and water is clear, but my fish are all small so I want to prepare for the future. My pond is 550 Gallons with 10 small fish, 2 of which are koi.

I was looking to use a brute trash can either a 20 gallon or a 32 gallon. Any help would be appreciated.

If needed I can try to post a pic or two,

Thanks, Dave

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
I built one using the 32gal brute. you can see some pics if you want in the 32gal thread in this section. The great thing about the brute trash cans is that they have the smooth center bottom. You can thus put a bottom flush drain on them and not worry about making a good seal. the top is nice for the same reason for your out feed. If you want any design help I could walk you throw the steps. The only thing I don't like about the 32gal can is that it is tall and narrow compared to say a 55gal drum. I am switching mine over to a 55gal drum cut to just over 2/3 tall because I get more volume about 40gal and it sites a number of inches shorter which reduces the head that is needed. Once you add in the height for the drain in the bottom it can sit pretty tall. I just wanted to max out the small pump I have. The only other thing is that the brute can be kind of expensive as trash cans go. about 25-30 dollars and I can get the 55 gal drums free. Due to the fact I am using 3 of these I went the 55gal drum route. But all in all if I was going to use a trash can, the brute would be the one I would use and have.

Ask a Question