Thinking of adding a second filter- Pressurized filter system

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
Hi there ponders!
I have a bio filter in my 1500 gallon pond now.
Fish load is 3 6" koi and 7 4" comets.

I have a bio filter made up of a 33 gallon sump pump cistern with 12 24 inch floor scrubber pads. This also has a UV clarifier light (not sure what the wattage is.

This filtration system's output went into a bog about 24 cubic feet (with plants). Another pump pulled unfiltered water from the pond into the bog also.

The bog pump is not working, so I bought a Laguna Max Flow 1350 pump. I intended to let this water flow directly into the bog, but decided to buy a Laguna Pressure Flo-1400 UVC Filter as well.

This new pump and filtration system would output into the holding area of my bog (no stones) just before the spillway/waterfall (24 inch drop).

Is this overkill? I'm wanting to have a heavy fish load in my pond. Maybe adding an additional koi that is around 10 inches long.

Comments?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well then it is good you have additional filtration if you are planning to add more koi. I think adding more koi will be a problem in the future as they get so very big.

I have about 3500 gallons of water, four pumps pushing all together about maybe 6000 GPH of water, three doubled up underwater filters for three pumps, and one underwater laguna box filter. and that is just for the spring flow! Summer time I switch one pump to the bigger 4500 GPH pump to increase flow for my big koi.

You can NEVER have too much flow for really big koi in the summer! :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 filters one on each of my pond but use plants in my filters to help clean the water .I also use a ball valve just with water skimmer the top of the pond to help aerate the water

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
I don't plan on staying in this house long. My next place will have a much bigger pond!

Ask a Question