Preformed Pond with green water-Adding a waterfall/Filtering it?

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a 150 Gallon Preformed pond that is very green and you can not see to the bottom or her fish. She is using a planting basket(set on the bottom of pond) to set her 200 GPH Fountain Pump in with quilt batting and that just isn't working. She would love to add a waterfall on the edge but I can not think of how she could make one or if they sell small ones for preformed ponds? She has NO rock on the bottom of her pond as she took it all out last year. She does have a few water lily's but no other plants. Do you think she needs a bigger pump?? Would love to help her out but I have never had green water issues. Thanks in advance. Amber

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know here my preformed had a preformed waterfall and I got it at lowes and they still sell them .You said she has the quilt batting in the pond ,that won't work .It would just put the algae back in the pond ,She needs tun a hose off the pump and then into the quilt batting and then back into the pond .

Reaction score
Yeah I understand what you are saying but I can not think of how she could do that as she would need something to house the batting in and that is why I was thinking a waterfall box or something? I know its probably simple but I can't think of what to use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I used to use a laundry basket filled with the batting set under my falls. Probably 3/4 of the basket was in the preform. She could get a tall style basket put the batting in then run the hose from pump output to basket. If you go to my profile and check out my pictures you can see my previous pond from last year with 2 preforms and a water fall between. I just got a small liner from Home Depot to go under my rock waterfall and the liner ran over the edge and into the preform. Never had any problems with leaks.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I set up a preform pond 6 weeks ago , its around 250 gal
I wanted it to grow lotus in , but now i have the lotus and all this years fry
I bought a Sm two tier water spill way at Lowe's last weekend ,it was 15 bucks
I just put some lava rock and some river rocks in its pools
I added a small piece of pillow stuffing stuff this morning
I had a new Sm pump for so long i don't remember the flow it not much
maybe 150 gph
The water is getting clearer and its got a slow current for the little guys

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I took a foam swim tube thing and made a circle (had to tie it together w/ twine so it stayed put) out of it just big enough to put a pot into the middle w/o falling through so it floats and I stuck the batting in the pot and then just ran a hose from the pump and laid the hose on the outside edge of the pond so the water squirted into the batting. Made the hose stay in place w/ a big rock on top of it. Change the batting when it gets dirty and keep on till it's clear!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
preformed what you could do is put a crate in the pond and run a hose off the pump and put a basket on top of the crate and put batting into the basket ,just make sure the crate is high enough that the basket is out of the water in the middle of the pond .You can also cut a whole in the crate run a fountain head from the pump up through the middle and put the basket with a whole drilled in the middle also for fountain head and the basket again has quilt batting in it .Being in the middle of the pond it should pick up a lot of that fine stuff .I do that with my stock tank

Reaction score
Thank you all for the ideas. I have a waterfall box and skimmer so it was hard to think how she could add something to hers and help filter out the crud. Thanks so much.

Reaction score
JenH-I went and checked out your pictures and her pond looks just like yours did when it was green. I will take a picture of her pond when I get a chance but in the mean time I am trying to think of a "cheap" waterfall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sounds like one of those preform waterfalls would be the cheapest way if they're only $15. The rocks I used to make mine i collected here and there from people who were giving them away, friends, craigslist, etc. So all I paid for there was the liner and the materials I used to make a very small biofilter/waterfall. Something like a skippy, or one of those Tetra waterfall weir filters they usually carry at Lowe's. My lower pond and water fall were connected and the upper preform was really separate, I just set it up to look like the water was flowing from one to the other.

Also, I think when my water was as bad as the green in those pictures I used AlgaeFix along with the quilt batting to clear it up.

Reaction score
I was just using google image for ideas and most use the tetra waterfall boxes it looks like as they are easy to add on to preformed ponds. I will just let her know her many options. Thanks again everyone.

Reaction score
Yeah I understand what you are saying but I can not think of how she could do that as she would need something to house the batting in and that is why I was thinking a waterfall box or something? I know its probably simple but I can't think of what to use.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This is what I used for my dyi filter and made my own waterfall. Works pretty good in keeping the water clear.

Ask a Question