adding a stream to an existing pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
When I turn on the stream, it drops the pond level by 1-2 inches, depends on how hot and dry it has been, how much water the stream ponds and deck ponds have lost. Also it takes a bit of water to fill the stream, fill the ponds to the point they start flowing. When turned off the big pond refills nicely.
That is something to consider. My pump intake is deep so the level drop does not bother anything.
My pond is about 3 ft deep so if I put the pump for stream on the bottom there should not be a problem-right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
One thing to be aware of if your stream has any slope at all - when the pump to the stream is turned off, all the water in the stream needs to go some where. Be sure your pond at the bottom can handle all the water in the stream. I know of someone that didn't take this into consideration and over-flowed their pond. They ended up making the sides of the bottom pond taller.
Good point. I'm learning a lot from you all . Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond is about 3 ft deep so if I put the pump for stream on the bottom there should not be a problem-right?
With a submersible pump you never want it right on the bottom, in case you have a leak. You want some water left to save the fish. A lot put them on a crate etc to have them off the bottom. My set up uses external pumps. You need the pump below the lowest water level when the stream is running.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It is an Atlantic Water Gardens Big Bahama PS7000 Skimmer. 9inch Weir opening for pond us up to 9000 gal. 25. Wide, 30 deep, 24 high.

Great! This skimmer will handle 7000 GPH which means that you can add up to an additional 2800 GPH. You will need to determine if there is sufficient space in the skimmer for two (2) pumps. This skimmer provides for an outlet port on either side so an additional port can be added to accommodate a second pump. If Two (2) pumps are not possible then a larger pump can be plumbed immediately outside of the skimmer with a 'Wye' splitter for one feed to the waterfall and one feed to the stream. I would advise placing a ball valve on the stream supply line so you can insure sufficient flow to the waterfall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Great! This skimmer will handle 7000 GPH which means that you can add up to an additional 2800 GPH. You will need to determine if there is sufficient space in the skimmer for two (2) pumps. This skimmer provides for an outlet port on either side so an additional port can be added to accommodate a second pump. If Two (2) pumps are not possible then a larger pump can be plumbed immediately outside of the skimmer with a 'Wye' splitter for one feed to the waterfall and one feed to the stream. I would advise placing a ball valve on the stream supply line so you can insure sufficient flow to the waterfall.
Thanks very much. How do I determine what size pump I will need? Could you recommend a good resource to read up on how to plumb one or two pumps? If I'm understanding what you are saying-if two pumps will not fit in the skimmer then one large pump should be plumbed outside the skimmer-correct? Why can the one large pump not live within the skimmer? One other question. How do I bring the water into the top of the stream. Do you suggest using biofalls spillway?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would recommend upgrading to the largest pump (7000 gph limit) you can afford. It really should not be that much larger than your existing pump so should easily fit in the skimmer. Once you decide on one or two pumps, I, or anyone else on this forum, can help you with hooking it up. There are several companies that make waterfall spillways. Atlantic is one of them.

t440_c61913d6088e8e08f88d3b58b6719adf.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I would recommend upgrading to the largest pump (7000 gph limit) you can afford. It really should not be that much larger than your existing pump so should easily fit in the skimmer. Once you decide on one or two pumps, I, or anyone else on this forum, can help you with hooking it up. There are several companies that make waterfall spillways. Atlantic is one of them.

t440_c61913d6088e8e08f88d3b58b6719adf.jpg
Thanks. One other question. the current pipe that goes from the skimmer to the falls comes off the L side of the skimmer. The area that I will put the stream in is also to the left of the skimmer. So if I use two pumps the other pipe will come off the R side of the skimmer. Will I use angle joints to bring it around to the L? I really appreciate your expertise.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks. One other question. the current pipe that goes from the skimmer to the falls comes off the L side of the skimmer. The area that I will put the stream in is also to the left of the skimmer. So if I use two pumps the other pipe will come off the R side of the skimmer. Will I use angle joints to bring it around to the L? I really appreciate your expertise.
I looked at pumps and there is 2000 and 3000 GPH. Would I be safe going with the 3000? Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Remember to look at the watts used because if it runs a lot of watts and your electric bill goes up a lot you may not be happy with that pump .There are only 2 brands that have energy savings efficient pumps .laguna and oase

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

The use of FlexPVC will eliminate the need for any connectors.

Ask a Question