Adding bacteria

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have used Ki-Nitrifier by Keeton Industries and it works great.
In addition to Ki-Nitrifier, FritzZyme TurboStart by Fritz Aquatics works.
I do not know of any other product that actually contains the correct, live bacteria.
You must order them on-line and they are shipped overnight with a cold pack.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have used Ki-Nitrifier by Keeton Industries and it works great.
In addition to Ki-Nitrifier, FritzZyme TurboStart by Fritz Aquatics works.
I do not know of any other product that actually contains the correct, live bacteria.
You must order them on-line and they are shipped overnight with a cold pack.

From the individual company's websites:
Ki-Nitrifier has a 3 month refrigerated shelf life.
FritzZume TurboStart has a 6 month refrigerated shelf life.
Obviously low oxygen has no immediate effect on bacteria viability!

Bacti-Pur and MicrobeLift both contain nitrifying bacteria.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It's true that unless you do something very drastic like boil the water, or use strong concentrations of certain chemicals, some bacteria of all types will survive very adverse conditions. But without going to any extremes, please tell me what you think generally will happen to the nitrifying bacteria colony in your bio-filter when your turn off the pump and stop the flow of oxygen rich water for several days?
You can't have it both ways, they either need oxygen to stay alive, or they don't.
And actually it's not so much that they will just die from lack of oxygen, something else goes on there in that anaerobic environment.
Here is an experiment anyone can do at home. When you're sure you have a strong thriving nirifying bacteria colony growing on your bio-media in you filter, take a portion of that media and put it in a sealed air tight container (a zip-lock bag will do), but before sealing it take a sniff of it and see what it smells like. It should have light fresh fishy smell. Now seal it up and leave it for 2 or so days at room temps, then open it and take a sniff. What you will smell is the distinct septic rotten egg smell of H2S (hydrogen sulfide) a common byproduct of anaerobic bacteria.
So what has happened?
In the absence of oxygen the anaerobic bacteria, which are always present along side the aerobic bacteria, will begin to grow and multiply. But what food is available for them to eat so that they can grow and multiply? You guessed it, they eat the aerobic bacteria themselves which had previously established themselves on the media but begin to weaken and die in the anaerobic conditions.
So this would be the same conditions in a bottle of Microbe-lift. If the bottle contained high concentrations of aerobic bacteria, they would die and become food for the anaerobic bacteria (that will always be present) once you sealed the bottle. Sure some aerobic bacteria will always survive, but not any significant quantities, in fact there would be higher concentrations already colonizing in open oxygen rich pond water then could survive in a the anoxic conditions of a sealed bottle.
Of course there could be other bacteria in that bottle, some that could survive in significant quantities in anaerobic conditions and aerobic conditions, in fact the makers of Microb-lift say this about their product "Contains photosynthetic bacteria which reduces cloudy water by promoting flocculation and settling of organic and inorganic particles". Perhaps this is what is responsible for those who claim to see something favorable happening with their pond water after adding the stuff in the bottles? Keep in mind though, that these are very different bacteria then the ones we want to grow on our bio-media.

" Aerobic nitrifiying bacteria are quickly replaced (consumed) by anaerobic bacteria after prolong periods of anoxic or anaerobic conditions" (Mucky-Waters GPF.com., 2015)

It's true that unless you do something very drastic like boil the water, or use strong concentrations of certain chemicals, some bacteria of all types will survive very adverse conditions. But without going to any extremes, please tell me what you think generally will happen to the nitrifying bacteria colony in your bio-filter when your turn off the pump and stop the flow of oxygen rich water for several days? Depends on if they are allowed to dry-out (Dessicate).
You can't have it both ways, they either need oxygen to stay alive, or they don't. Science has shown that they can remain viable, but dormant, for extended periods of time.
And actually it's not so much that they will just die from lack of oxygen, something else goes on there in that anaerobic environment.
Here is an experiment anyone can do at home. When you're sure you have a strong thriving nirifying bacteria colony growing on your bio-media in you filter, take a portion of that media and put it in a sealed air tight container (a zip-lock bag will do), but before sealing it take a sniff of it and see what it smells like. It should have light fresh fishy smell. Now seal it up and leave it for 2 or so days at room temps, then open it and take a sniff. What you will smell is the distinct septic rotten egg smell of H2S (hydrogen sulfide) a common byproduct of anaerobic bacteria.
So what has happened? In an anoxic environment, anaerobic bacteria will become dominant, but only until Oxygen is re-introduced.
In the absence of oxygen the anaerobic bacteria, which are always present along side the aerobic bacteria, will begin to grow and multiply. But what food is available for them to eat so that they can grow and multiply? You guessed it, they eat the aerobic bacteria themselves which had previously established themselves on the media but begin to weaken and die in the anaerobic conditions. This is not the case at all. Both Nitrifying bacteria and Sulphate reducing bacteria are chemolithoautotrophs meaning both utilize inorganic Carbon usually in the form of Carbon Dioxide, not organic Carbon.
So this would be the same conditions in a bottle of Microbe-lift. If the bottle contained high concentrations of aerobic bacteria, they would die and become food for the anaerobic bacteria (that will always be present) once you sealed the bottle. Sure some aerobic bacteria will always survive, but not any significant quantities, in fact there would be higher concentrations already colonizing in open oxygen rich pond water then could survive in a the anoxic conditions of a sealed bottle.
Of course there could be other bacteria in that bottle, some that could survive in significant quantities in anaerobic conditions and aerobic conditions, in fact the makers of Microb-lift say this about their product "Contains photosynthetic bacteria which reduces cloudy water by promoting flocculation and settling of organic and inorganic particles". Perhaps this is what is responsible for those who claim to see something favorable happening with their pond water after adding the stuff in the bottles? Keep in mind though, that these are very different bacteria then the ones we want to grow on our bio-media. The addition of planktonic heterotrophic bacteria to these products does not affect the colonization of biofilm by nitrifying bacteria.

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
If you have a good bio-filter, large enough for not only the size of the pond but the amount of fish in it, you'll never have hair or suspended algae again. It's also important to remember that hair algae in limited lengths is also good because it helps to filter the water and it's a good food for Koi to eat because it is high in Vitamin C.
It's also good to know that once a bio-filter has been running for four to six months, the bacteria on the bio-media should be strong enough to remove the nutrients/toxins from the water. Nutrients for the plants, toxins for the Koi and Goldfish.
Your's Koily, Lorraine

Reaction score
The reason you could refrigerate aerobic bacteria and store them in a sealed container is because by significant lowering the temperatures will cause not only the aerobic bacteria to go dormant, but more importantly, the anaerobic bacteria also would go dormant as well, which would otherwise consume the aerobic nitrifying bacteria at higher temperatures in an anaerobic environment.

Meyers statement that Bacti-pur and Microbe-lift both contain nitrifying bacteria is probably quite true, but it is also true that tap water, urine and common dirt, and just about anything really, will also contain nitrifying bacteria.

What it comes down to is the question of could you have MORE active viable quantities aerobic bacteria contained in a sealed anaerobic container that could significantly add to the aerobic nitrifying bacteria already existing in your pond water or on the surface of bio-media you may have left in your pond over the winter in a more oxygen rich environment?
The answer is no.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's also good to know that once a bio-filter has been running for four to six months, the bacteria on the bio-media should be strong enough to remove the nutrients/toxins from the water. Nutrients for the plants, toxins for the Koi and Goldfish.
Your's Koily, Lorraine
Ammonia is toxic to fish and part of the process of a bio-filter is to convert ammonia to nitrites, which is also toxic to fish, but an established bio-filter will further convert those nitrites to nitrates which fish can tolerate in quite high concentrations. A bio-filter will not remove nitrates however, and those nitrates are readily available nutrients for plants and algae (including string or "hair" algae).

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The reason you could refrigerate aerobic bacteria and store them in a sealed container is because by significant lowering the temperatures will cause not only the aerobic bacteria to go dormant, but more importantly, the anaerobic bacteria also would go dormant as well, which would otherwise consume the aerobic nitrifying bacteria at higher temperatures in an anaerobic environment.

Meyers statement that Bacti-pur and Microbe-lift both contain nitrifying bacteria is probably quite true, but it is also true that tap water, urine and common dirt, and just about anything really, will also contain nitrifying bacteria.

What it comes down to is the question of could you have MORE active viable quantities aerobic bacteria contained in a sealed anaerobic container that could significantly add to the aerobic nitrifying bacteria already existing in your pond water or on the surface of bio-media you may have left in your pond over the winter in a more oxygen rich environment.
The answer is no.

Entirely different discussion. If you are saying that adding 'beneficial bacteria' is usually a waste of time and money, then we agree IF the pond is properly constructed with ample water flow and substrate for biofilm formation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
So just to be clear, after all this discussion, the water in my pond, bog, and stream, needs to be treated/ conditioned before I can introduce my four goldfish. I should add ammonia and test every three days or so, as Mitch described - basically adding ammonia until it tests to have no ammonia (improbable and illogical as that sounds to me!). I hope this doesn't take weeks, my fish and I are a little impatient!

Also it occurred to me today to wonder how plants react to this treatment. Do I need to wait before adding them as well?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So just to be clear, after all this discussion, the water in my pond, bog, and stream, needs to be treated/ conditioned before I can introduce my four goldfish. I should add ammonia and test every three days or so, as Mitch described - basically adding ammonia until it tests to have no ammonia (improbable and illogical as that sounds to me!). I hope this doesn't take weeks, my fish and I are a little impatient!

Also it occurred to me today to wonder how plants react to this treatment. Do I need to wait before adding them as well?

Actually you really don't need to test for Ammonia. Test for Nitrite. When you get a reading you can add the fish.

You can add the plants immediately. They will assimilate some of the Ammonia that you add.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
I will do as you suggest, Meyer. Glad I can get the plants in. Today I should be able to get the ammonia (the store here only had ammonia with bitrex added) and a testing kit. Thank you for the guidance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ki-Nitrifier has a 6 month refrigerated shelf life.
From the individual company's websites:
Ki-Nitrifier has a 3 month refrigerated shelf life.
FritzZume TurboStart has a 6 month refrigerated shelf life.
Obviously low oxygen has no immediate effect on bacteria viability!

Bacti-Pur and MicrobeLift both contain nitrifying bacteria.

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Adding the bacteria won't hurt, but won't necessarily help either.
The bacteria need a source of ammonia as food in order to populate enough so they can keep up with the ammonia production from the eventual living creatures in the pond.
I use straight ammonia from a grocery store in order to grow the bacteria population when first starting up a pond or aquarium.
Bacteria are everywhere already, they don't need to be added.

My suggestion is to add ammonia, enough to bring the tested level up to 4 ppm. Test every few days and add ammonia to keep that level, until you notice that the ammonia level drops more and more each test.
Once you have a steady reading of 0 ammonia, you can start adding fish slowly.

Never heard of this method. Mitch you hanging around here too much, I'm afraid you are becoming more of:sour: an expert:eek::)

Ask a Question