Adding pond fish to koi pond

Reaction score
I have a 6500 gallon pond that I built in the fall so there are onlyabout 10 small koi in there now.. But today I caught 17 smaller sized sunfish from a lake and added them in with my koi.. Is this ok to do or will there be problems between the fish

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The sunfish might attack your koi. Once they are dead the sunfish will likely die as well. Koi ponds are not made to have predatory fish as inhabitants.

Reaction score
Sunfish are aggressive little buggers. I had them in with my large Koi and they were fine but when I added goldies, Not good they were dinner for the sunfish. So I got them out and put them back into the muddy canal that they came out of. No regrets there.

Reaction score
It is a pretty large pond so I was thinking maybe they wouldn't have a problem but do you think I should maybe take them out?

Reaction score
The sunfish are maybe alittle bigger than the smallest koi in there, they aren't fully grown so I was goingto put like 350 mosquito fish in there mYbe they could snack on along with the regualr food

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I made the mistake of putting 12 mosquito fish in a pond. 2 years later I had 1800 to get rid of so my Koi could spawn without the interferrence of the MF.
If you don't plan on raising young koi then it's ok.

Ask a Question