Adding salt to pond causing foam after waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is a more realistic assessment which means that at 36 fish this pond is overpopulated and will quickly reach a tipping point unless some fish are removed, a higher water flow rate is established and the biofiltration is expanded.
I just ordered 2700gph pump...will install monday when it arrives

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
or another pond off that pond ;)I see room to grow another pond .I know my koi produce a lot of waste and as they get bigger it will be more waste .Reason why in 5000 gallons I now only have 8 fish ,well unless there are babies .2 koi over 2 feet and fancy tails at about 6 to 8 inch's an 2 fat fantails about 6 to 8 inch's ,male is bigger than the female

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Finding it hard to visualise the physical size of the pond from the pics above. Any chance of another pic with something placed alongside it for some sense of scale? A coke can, a shoe, anything. I honestly thought that this part was the waterfall that led into the pond, obviously it isn't.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If salt was good for fresh water fish, they would not survive in Nature
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai...ahUKEwjB8tim5YHUAhUHw4MKHda_DRsQww8ILQ&adurl=
I think he means this type of salt.
but anyway no salt is good for any fish or, any treatment. its a commercial made myth.
The really looks like its about 100 gallons... in my opinion, overstocked,
Do you know your ponds parameters?
Ammonia?
Nitrate?
Nitrite?
Phosphate?
Would help with the fish part. I would highly downstock, anything else you are adding to the water atm? water changes or anything? plants? regular routine maintenance?

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
no no, I didn't mean that as to what you said, I meant it as to what the OP said he was using for salt. His salinity levels are a whole nother ball game :pompous:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
no no, I didn't mean that as to what you said, I meant it as to what the OP said he was using for salt. His salinity levels are a whole nother ball game :pompous:

Adding any salt, whether Table salt or other, is done with the purpose of altering the conductivity of the pond water. Carp prefer water with very low conductivity contrary to what is posted on much of the internet.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
basically what im saying is...
I was just showing everyone what he used...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
The foam is most likely Dissolved Organic Compounds (DOC) like proteins. My understanding is DOCs foam up easier in saltier water. The foam isn't a problem as much as why there is foam, it's not the salt which is merely showing you there are a lot of DOC's to be turned into foam. Whether there should be salt or not is a different issue. Usually foaming means your biological filtration is struggling to keep up with your fish load.
Please check back in when your test kit arrives and you can give us some numbers.

Ask a Question