adding water

Reaction score
hello. i'm a newbie to the forum. i posted in the intro thread. i have a question about water evaporation. it seems to me that i add more water to my pond than my neighbor does to her pond. i have to add almost an inch of water pretty much every day or my pump starts sucking air. my pond is about 8x14 in connecticut. it is near trees, but still gets plenty of sunlight. does that seem like a reasonable rate of evaporation, or do i have a leak?

(please say it's normal and i don't have a leak)

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
To check for evaporation fill some sort of container that will float in the pond about half full, maybe you could sit it somewhere in the pond. Mark the water level in the container then wait to see how much evaporates from the container in 24 hours. Not an exact science but it should help. A 30 gallon rubbermaid tub would work good.

Reaction score
So simple, but a brilliant idea!

That said, an inch per day sounds like more than evaporation to me. It would have to be really hot, dry and windy to get such levels I think. But what do I know, I live in a rainforest lol.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Thanks vertigo72. I will add that here in Florida I could loose a 1/2 inch a day. My pond is in the direct sun most of the day. Also, I have a trickle type filter for my fines so that accounts for some as well.

Reaction score
Thats a good idea koidaddy. I live in florida to and I get about a 1/2" sometimes a little more but my water fall splashes over the side of the fall from time to time I dont mind it it waters my plants on the side of the fall. Also if all you have to do is loose an inch of water and your pump sucks air I would look at that. dont leave you alot of wiggle room especially if you are loosing that everday. What if you go on vacation or something your pump would be toast by the time you got back.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i would set up a continuous drip system as well, one that would replace that water or even just a hint over...continuous water change and at a pace you probably wouldnt have to dechlorinate!...have the drip drip into your waterfall or near by.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That's a great idea on the floating container, It should have close to the same evaporation point as the pond, if far different, start looking for a leaking point, another is let the pond be and see if it loses down to a point and then slows down drastically. If that is the case that is the area that needs to be looked at closely as this is a indicator of where the leak may be. Particular places to watch for slow leaks, along waterfalls and streams, where piping is made up, if you have a skimmer check where the water enters the skimmer.
Also if you are like we are here, NO RAIN in weeks, look for plants that are thriving or green grass where everything else looks dry and crisp. With it losing a pretty much given amount a day I would say a good bit is evaporation and if there is a leak probably it's going to be a drip leak or splash out. Along the stream or water fall move a rock or two and look and see if the ground is moist underneath. I recently found a leak in a pipe joint that was made over a year ago, It's probably been leaking since installed but just got bad enough that I started noticing moisture where it should have been bone dry.
Be Aware, that if this is a fairly new build some settling can occur, if this happens a wrinkle along the edge can be the culprit and in most cases finding it is the hard part, fixing is usually the easy part in those cases, a simple rock or a handful or two of dirt pushed under the liner where the leak is found will fix it quickly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
In the last couple days, I've been seeing about an inch per day of loss as well. However we've been baking in 90-degree heat, and my waterfall drops about 18" at around 5000gph, so I guess that's probably just what I'm going to have to expect.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm dropping about 1/2 inch a day when the auto-fill is off with 95-100 degrees temps now. My big water fall is about a 20" drop and the stream has three 8 inch drops in it. It was a little more than 1/2" a day while I had the leak, hardly a noticable difference.lol

SE18

David V
Reaction score
I get water loss due to:

dogs and birds drinking water

osmosis (water climbs the concrete, defying laws of gravity)

some splashy

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Yeah I forgot to mention the loss from the dogs.:regular_waving_emot

Attachments

• P5120036 (Custom).JPG
    P5120036 (Custom).JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 314
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Well as a matter of fact, I DID have a leak. Water was low again this morning, despite being topped-off just 3 days ago, and watching it today, it dropped another 2 inches. I was worried that this was going to be normal for my climate. Sitting outside, looking at everything, and realized I couldn't see the top of the liner against the filter barrels. Bigger than $#!&, the water is just running over the edge at a pretty rapid pace. Got that pulled back up into place, and topped off the water again... we'll see what it looks like tomorrow.

What really has me worried is the way the liners overlap at the top of the waterfall. I think I may have messed up the overlap, so I could still be losing water behind the waterfall. I'll have to pull everything up one of these days and take a look -- but if there is a problem, the only fix is to take out the entire waterfall and cut a new piece of liner... It would certainly be preferable to the current rate of water loss, however.

Ask a Question