Pond Location Advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good evening! New to the forums and somewhat new to ponds.
Me and the wife installed a 2,500-3,000 gallon pond at our old house and we are now about to move into our new houseonce it gets finished in a couple weeks.

I was wanting to install a pond in the back, but I kinda liked the spot in the front, in between the garage and the walkway.
Is this safe/smart? Or should I just stick to the backyard? The house is on a crawl space if that makes any difference.
mill post some pics below of the area. I’m not wanting anything to big or deep.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• 1C8B1FDF-06E5-4CAD-994B-C5A0BB59D548.jpeg
    1C8B1FDF-06E5-4CAD-994B-C5A0BB59D548.jpeg
    235.4 KB · Views: 85
  • E6D3253F-3B27-4B13-A131-A0A6275F6195.jpeg
    E6D3253F-3B27-4B13-A131-A0A6275F6195.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 86
  • BE9B9975-F934-46B9-8770-A994D43C7EFB.jpeg
    BE9B9975-F934-46B9-8770-A994D43C7EFB.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 84
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
If you are in a hot part of the country, having some shade will be welcome. But you probably do want some light for plants. Does the area get some sun at other parts of the day? Once concern with being right by the house is the use of any pesticides - that would be bad. Also, any cleaning of the siding would need to be done without chemicals. Just a couple of things to think about. I do love the idea of having a pond right outside my door!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

@bagsmom brings up some good points. A lot of people do it without problems, but personally I wouldn’t want a pond that close to my foundation, and the area looks a little cramped, so it might not look natural. Now, a water feature might look good, knowing that space is a factor. Maybe you could post some more pictures, but back away a little further for more of a “big picture” look at the various yard spaces: front, back, sides.

Where do you live and are you planning to have fish at all?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
View attachment 137264@Chopsalad
You also want to be able to sit out there comfortably and view your pond. Not sure if there will be a good way to do that there.
Ha! I was thinking the same thing!
It's more of a private setting when the pond is in the backyard. You'll want to hang out by the pond relaxing, grilling, maybe read a book, maybe add a fire pit.

If you do place it in the front, make sure there's no chance someone could accidentally fall in, especially at night. You may need some lights and maybe a low fence.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Considering you didn't show any pics of the back it seems you have made up your mind. I see it's a new home and it's landscape time. Have you seen the stacked slate walls and urns that's a way to get hight without it looking like a volcano spitting out water. Place some dwarf species in the back in the corner and the a staked slate falling into a pond streams dropping into a disappearing stream in the front is crazy curb appeal when done right.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
staked slate falling into a pond streams dropping into a disappearing stream in the front is crazy curb appeal when done right.
I was going to suggest that, a pondless water feature in the front and a real pond in the back.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome @Chopsalad! A couple of observations from the images you attached: Your front yard looks like it slopes back toward the home which can send unwanted runoff water into your pond. And, that down spout looks like it will dump water onto the walkway and in turn, that water will flow back toward your home. Not good. Your entranceway is wooden and that last thing you want is a bunch of moisture collecting in and around that area or flowing into a pond. The other thing I noticed is across the street. It looks like you have neighbors potentially with a bunch of kids. Ponds are magnets for children and it is not worth the risk. Given those circumstances, I don't support putting a pond there. I agree with above, a pondless water feature or fountain would be best up front.

Ask a Question