advice please

Reaction score
hi, just joined your forum and looking for some advice , i brought my 2 butterfly koi indoors during the winter and yesterday i put them back into the pond, although these are the 2 biggest fish {the others are 1 Shubunkin and 2 comets} all hell has broke loose in the pond with consent chasing of the 2 koi, all where happy together last year { there had been 2 shubunkin but i have lost 1 } i am assuming that perhaps the koi to be female, i dont want to add more fish to the pond, should i take the koi back out or is there a way i could split pond

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the Forum

The Koi could be breeding and the others just want to be in the action

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Your probably seeing a mating session going on here, theres in reality nothing you can do about it its nature at its best as to splitting the pond ?
Well its up to you what you wish to do them being your fish and all , if they do breed you'll be seeng hybrid fish as a result of this union.
People claim that hybrid or mules dont breed as they are sterile, of that I'm not so sure people on this site claim their hybrids are capable of breeding who am I to doubt them

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
thanks for your answers, i had a panic and took the 2 koi back out as they were exhasted and floating on their sides on top of pond, and the others still would not leave them alone, not great to stress them by taking back out but just didnt know what to do, if i go buy more fish i could just be adding more males, at the moment if i could find great homes, i think i would just part with them

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You saved the little fish..............good job

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Remember this that all male goldfish have little white dots or Tubercles along the gill plate they use these to rub up along side female golfish so if possible its best to check the gills when buying.
Ask for them to be bagged up then ask if you can take a good look at the fish.
If its a male politely refuse then get them to bag another and so on its not a problem for them as they want your business or simply ask them to sex the goldfish for you .
Koi are alott harder to sex the females are normally bukier than the male and the anal vent area sis different from a male koi.
Sure hope this helps you , I'm not sure of the ratio of female to male Goldfish in a pond its something like five females to one male but I'm sure the sites goldfish keepers can help you out with the numbers

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question