Aeration location?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Canada
I added aeration (2 pods) to my pond, but find it moves too much water/bubbles to observe the 10 small comets I have in there. For now I run the aeration at night.

I am considering putting the aeration in the reservoir. Thoughts or advice please.

System is a 6'x12'x3'(deep end) pond that:
#1: flows (12" drop) into a small 6'x2' mini-bog (pea gravel above drainable void) filter
#2: then (12" drop) 30+' babbling brook with multiple drops and riffles
#3: to 4'x2' mini-bog (pea gravel only) filter
#4: into standard skimmer filter (basket, filter, empty UV, pump chamber)
#5 overflows into 60 gallon reservoir barrel where it is pumped back
#6 into pond; 1/3rd over small 3" falls, and 2/3rds up through gravel at deep end

pond.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Beautiful yard. Having a hard time picking out all your features and how they connect together. 1 air stone is probably enough for a 6x12 pond. What size air pump are you using? Maybe try a smaller one?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with @combatwombat - drop it down to one stone. You can run your aerator only when you aren't actively viewing your fish if you prefer - like just at night - but it can become very important on really hot days, so you'll want to monitor that. But for a small pond you do have lots of water movement, so you may not need it at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Canada
Beautiful yard. Having a hard time picking out all your features and how they connect together. 1 air stone is probably enough for a 6x12 pond. What size air pump are you using? Maybe try a smaller one?
Thank you.
This photo makes it clearer:
pondop.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Canada
Thank you for the input. Solution of the moment is to put one stone in the empty pump bay of the skimmer (full on) and the other in the pond with the line pinched. 1/3rd the bubbles and we can see everything. Cheers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you for the input. Solution of the moment is to put one stone in the empty pump bay of the skimmer (full on) and the other in the pond with the line pinched. 1/3rd the bubbles and we can see everything. Cheers.
So I’m of the school of thought that there never have enough water movement In a fish pond. I would consider putting your air stones close to the edges of the pond so it is still easy to see your fish in the center. I have two pumps whose sole purpose is to splash water in my pond. They are both on the perimeter of my pond on each side of a huge sedge so it creates water movement without blocking the view of my fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You can buy little valve kits so you can adjust the air to each device. They are very inexpensive, like $7.00. I got a kit on Amazon that had various valves and splitters.
Here's what I bought...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Canada
In addition I placed an old plum tree across the pond to separate the aeration bubbles from the rest of the pond. It seems to be working
20210526_142020.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Canada
Water cleared. put second aeration back in, plum tree came out, and started to place plans around the edge. All was going well.
Until I back flushed a couple of plants, not realizing they had fertilizer in the medium.
Three dead feeder comets, within a couple hours. The remainder are doing well. From what I can deduce they were at the other end of the pond when I was working on the plants and the aeration protected them from the ammonia spike.
Everything back to normal now. water clear, ph 7.2, and fish happily swimming about.

Ask a Question