Aeration?

Reaction score
Hi all
I've been going mental with my pond as of late. Put loads of Y-junctions on some of my feeds and have water going into the pond right, left and centre. As a result there is a ton of aeration going on. I've done this so now I can hopefully purchase my first sturgeon.
My question is what is the aeration requirements for a sturgeon, and what test kit does a test for O2?

Many thanks
Rich

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't know about the requirements for a sturgeon. Although...

In regards to the test kits for dissolve oxygen, they are quite unreliable, not accurate at all, not necessary, and the good ones are tabletop devices involving probes and quite expensive. The capture methodology is what matters when it comes to testing d-O2, which the test must be done in the pond with a electronic diode. The other cheap tests, involving a vial or test strip, will cause the sample to be corrupted due to the atmospheric oxygen will instantly penetrate the sample once removed from the body of water.

Testing for d-O2 is unnecessary since it is easier for water to be saturated with oxygen due to oxygen's ability to penetrate water. There is an occurence of d-O2 stratification, but this is in regards to ponds that are 8~10 foot deep or deeper with minimal water current management.

Also, fish will still suffocate, be starved of d-O2, even when the O2 levels are at saturated levels. Fish release carbon dioxide and other gases through respiration. If the water's dissolve gas concentration becomes too high, then this interfere's with the fish's respiration causing them to suffocate, irregardless of the present O2 levels. In big lakes and oceans, there are dissolve gas layers underwater and the fish have a "natural sense" of where they are so to not swim into them. As going deeper into water, then the dissolved gas concentration significantly increases until it turns into a liquid at the bottom, if the ocean is deep enough. Even though these gases are lighter than water, a electrochemical bonding prevents these gases from floating to the top.

To remove these gases, the bottom water must be disturbed to the extent of pushing the water near the surface. Once the gases get closer to the water's surface, then the electrochemical bond significantly decreases allowing the gases to dissipate out of the water.

So, even though it is true that to increase O2 levels you increase water movement, it is also true that O2 will natrually penetrate to an extent through the water as long as the water's surface area is not obstructed with plants. It is also true that as the water movement is increased or aerator to remove the dissolved gases that this will help to increase O2 levels. However, the primary purpose of aeration and water movement is to remove these dissolve gases, not to increase O2 saturation levels.

Now, I don't know what the sturgeon's O2 requirements are in the water. All fish species have a different requirement. Bettas, for example, is classified as a labyrinth fish, which means the water does not have to have any dissolve O2 at all as long as the fish is allowed to go to the water surface area to swallow atmospheric oxygen.

Ask a Question