African Rose Mallow Question

Reaction score
Just bought this African Rose Mallow plant as it was in the plant section of the Farm Market but I can not find any information on google about it being planted in a pond?? Anyone have one? Says it grows 3-4' HEIGHT above water but Depth is 0-2" but I still can not find anyone planting it in water. Thanks for any help. Amber

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
I had a Mallow in a bog and also out of the pond in soil. My was from a friend so unknown variety, I assumed it was Rose of Sharon, Hibiscus laevis. Same family Malvaceae (Mallow). The one in the pond was planted in a pea gravel bog, crown a couple inches above water. Grew about the same as the one in soil and well watered.

I do think that generally for all marginals the higher out of the water, until just wet feet, the less chance of rot, the better they do. When a depth is given for a marginal I think it's always the maximum depth, not the optimal depth.

Ask a Question