After my house flooded from I thought I would share what I've learned

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thanks for the update! I was just thinking about you — we’ve had 5” of rain in the past 24 hrs.......and it snowed this morning!

You are too darn sweet :)

We also had a ton of rain in only 15 minutes that night we got 1 inch and it ran like a champ! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
What an extensive project! We had to do something similar many years ago in my first marriage. We've had foundation repairs in our current house, extra gutters and regrading....but we still have the original sump pump for one side of the house.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Makes me want snow now so badly @Mmathis
I love it much more that RAIN!!!
upload_2018-11-13_10-19-51.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Where I live no sump pumps allowed anymore, the town is phasing them out.
Recently I was told that sump pumps are just a bandaid, that the type of work you're doing is what's needed. Before we bought our house a sump pump was installed. Since that time we've that the other two sides of our foundation worked on, repairs of cracks, sealing, more gutters and regrading etc. They told us we needed a deeper pit for the sump, which we did....but I wish the previous owners had solved the problem differently.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Recently I was told that sump pumps are just a bandaid, that the type of work you're doing is what's needed. Before we bought our house a sump pump was installed. Since that time we've that the other two sides of our foundation worked on, repairs of cracks, sealing, more gutters and regrading etc. They told us we needed a deeper pit for the sump, which we did....but I wish the previous owners had solved the problem differently.
We got a town letter about sump pumps causing stress that would overburden the sewer waste system, especially in wet seasons. Also said pollution was an issue.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One of the benefits is that the sump pump will no longer be needed which means if the power goes out the drainage system will continue to be effective.
First thing is I would never take out a sump pump from a home that had water issues regardless of what was done to remedy drainage issues a back up is better then hoping the new fix will handle what mother nature can dish out .

Secondly for the cost of the pipe and the labor charge the amount of catch basins you are looking at. They could along with mother nature and a good deluge get the 6" pipe to easily back up. Each of those catch basins will have a 4" line empting to your main drain tile/ pipe. leaving your drain pipe inundated it's not just the every day rains that you want to make sure your design can handle but those spring and summer down pours. Not to mention that over time the bottom of the 6" line will build up sediments that will restrict the flow. from looking at the plan your going to have 16 - 4" feeders to the 6" pipe. I would consider a second 6"pipe to take the two closest if not the three closest catch basins to the street . I don't know what that would entail digging up like a driveway or pavers ect. but it appears to be pretty close to the street and more then likely the trench will need very little widening to get the second pipe in to handle the three catch basins. This would be an insurance policy I would sleep much better knowing I took out the gold plan 100 year rains and not just the every day rains. again theres many factors we don't have but in the general scheme of things I have some questions concerns with the design.
Best of luck to you

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We got a town letter about sump pumps causing stress that would overburden the sewer waste system, especially in wet seasons. Also said pollution was an issue.
In Texas from my time down there on business has a much different way to address rains then we do up here in the north east Tara they don't push the water to the storm drains as they are generally a open trench along side the road. in the cities and tighter neighborhoods yes they have more what we know

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Recently I was told that sump pumps are just a bandaid, that the type of work you're doing is what's needed. Before we bought our house a sump pump was installed. Since that time we've that the other two sides of our foundation worked on, repairs of cracks, sealing, more gutters and regarding etc. They told us we needed a deeper pit for the sump, which we did....but I wish the previous owners had solved the problem differently.
Some times all that is needed is a band aid. Look at it this way if you have a hang nail are you going to cut it off or are you going to pull the whole nail off? The nice thing about sump pumps compared to doing any work outside the home is there is no litter/ leaves, grass clippings, dirt etc. 90% of the time when a basement leaks it's the joint between the floor and the foundation wall. cut that floor open to a 4 to 6" wide trench by a foot deep some times just a 4" deep trench that is the floor removed against the wall and have that lead to a deep sump pump catch basin that should work and well over the years and need very little maintenance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
All to many times the reason people get water in the basement is due to not paying attention to making sure the standing water outside is pushed at least 4 feet away from the foundation.

Ask a Question