AJ pond build

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
OK we moved our 2 larger fish into the pond, then my wife bought 4 little guys to add.
I moved a couple of the decorations from the existing preform pond to this one to help start things in the new pond
I may have made a mistake there because almost overnight we got a major algie bloom going on
the water has turned very green
at the moment I'm just running the bio filter that is simply a layer of lava rock then a large bag of bio balls then topped off with another layer of lava rock, I have it being fed by a 2000 gph pump that is tee off, one hose to the filter and the other just laying in the bottom to keep water moving ( it will feed the bog when done) then I have a small pump about 700 gph with filter matting in a basket design I made for smaller particals. I did remove everything I put in from the other pond
should I be concerned about this sudden bloom or let it keep doing it's thing to get established
I was thinking about a 50% water change to slow it down a bit
the fish seem to be fine
I have not tested the water yet so I can't give those readings yet, we still have to get our test kits

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If the fish are fine I wouldn't do anything until you test the water. While the green water bothers us it rarely seems to bother the fish. Whereas doing a 50% water change can stress the fish if there's chlorine in it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
I'm not by any means trying to get rid of algae, I just don't understand the sudden bloom and green water
I never had that happen in the few years I had the preformed ponds set up. I know my filtration is weak right now as it's all new and just building it's balance
it's weird because the pond sat full of water for a couple weeks with no filters running and it barely started growing algae and the water stayed clear until I got in there and started working to finish the outer edges. at that point I pumped all the water back out did a rinse down
of the entire pond, not a cleaning, just rinsing the larger amount of dirt I tracked in while working on it, then I filled it and treated it with a water treatment, I turned on the pumps and filters and let it run and few days, I then took some of the decorations from the preform pond and put them in the new pond and 2 days later GREEN water
I'm going to follow the advise and not do a water change but it's just disheartening to have to look at it all green like that

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I pumped all the water back out did a rinse down

I love your pond and island - very creative.
About your algae bloom - when all the water was pumped out and the pond rinsed, you started over. Then nutrients were added to the pond with the addition of fish. I believe your pond is just trying to get established, and the suspended algae is part of the process. Have you added plants to the pond? That will help use up some of the nutrients. Also, when you test the water you will see where in the nitrogen cycle your pond stands.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
I love your pond and island - very creative.

Thanks,we have a Japanese maple planted in a pot with the bottom cut out in the island
then behind it we have jasmine being trained up an 8 foot post to a 4 sided arch wrapped in chicken wire to help train and hold it. the end result planned is a natural umbrella
we haven't put any plants in yet, trying to get the bog finished first. we may put a couple in baskets and set them on one of the shelves this weekend though. I don't think the liner for the bog will get here until next week

I was reading another thread yesterday and clicked on a link in it for some heron deterrents and saw a little fake floating gator
couldn't help myself so I bought one :) we haven't had herons come in the yard before but we do have racoons and owls
I don't care if it doesn't scare them I still like it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
so I just went and picked up the first load of pea gravel, I had the gentleman there do calculation for me as to how much I would need for my bog, the answer was,,,, well lets say boggling :rolleyes: he said for my design of 10'X10' by 20" deep it would take 8.3 tons of pea gravel
I think I will have to shallow it up a little, maybe make it 14 or 16" rather than the 20 I have now
the first load is 1 1/2 tons
I will be working on it this weekend so I hop to get some more pics up

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yes, it's a pea load of gravel. I think I calculated mine at a "crap ton" a rarely used metric term.
It took forever to get the gravel I needed. Don't make it smaller, you'll regret it. Just put in as much as you can and keep adding!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
That is a good point. hmm "crap ton" you say
looks like about 5 more trips to pick up gravel are going to be needed.
I was thinking 2 tons max when I dug out for the bog
I might be better off getting the rest delivered in a dump truck

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah, like I said it's a metric term... :p I had to buy mine in bags since a truck won't fit in my backyard. Granted my bog was smaller but it was just backbreaking work.
As they say, go big or go home... I mean go big AT home.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
I know what you mean, I would need to take my fence down to get my pickup in my front yard, no way in hello I'm letting a dump truck in there. so it's either me pick it up then shovel it into our yard wagon hooked to the mower or have a load dropped in the driveway and shovel it from there.
So far I have moved every drop of dirt and every rock for this pond by hand so I will probably just keep at it

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The good news is you've picked the perfect time of year to do it since it's cooling down. Or at least it was here this week. :)
And that was my thoughts, I've moved every rock there so what's a gazzilion tiny more.
Feel free to post pictures so I can get all nostalgic at the sight of moving all that pea gravel. :)

Ask a Question