Algae again already this year

Reaction score
Country
United States
had 12 x 20 oval pond for ten+ years and it's been crystal clear until last year . last year it was so ''cloudy'' that we could not see our comets . we have used ''api algaefix'' for years with great success but last year it did nothing for us . pond is shaded by a tree at east end so doesn't get sun till about noon . already this year the filter is getting a LOT of algae and will only be getting worse as sun increases over next few weeks , any suggestions to prevent the algae appreciated . some where here there is at least one post from me made last year that may better describe the situation . . .peace

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If it's possible for you to do, I'd also recommend building a bog filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As your comets get bigger, they produce more waste, which provides nutrients for the algae. I’ve had good luck getting rid of algae by tripling the number of plants in my pond over the past year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
in the words of John Wayne; "...The first green up of spring."

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No green waters here left the pumps running this year. And i agree try a bog. you can drop a dime in the bottom of the pond and at 6' deep and you can tell if its a Canadian dime or US. Old photo but same clarity today.

Pond clarity (1 of 1).jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If something that WAS working STOPS working, you have to consider the things that have CHANGED. In this case it's not the water, the sun, the environment... so most likely it's the size or number of your fish. "Algaefix" fixes algae by killing it, which means you now have MORE organic material in the pond, not less. And what loves an excess of organic material? Algae. One big vicious cycle.

The choices are: reduce the amount of fish in the pond, increase the amount of filtration (as suggested, adding a bog is a great way to do this) as well as adding more plants (which by the way a bog does by the nature of it's design), and decrease the amount of organics in the pond - make sure you're scooping debris, not overfeeding, etc.

Ask a Question