Algea and green water control

Rich17

Hi all
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can someone tell me a good algea and green water control I have got 3plants in my pond and got a fishmate 15000 uv filter running :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Rich, Welcome to gpf. Just wondering do you have anything else like fish in the pond? Blocking the sun is a good way to cut down on algae. Also any plant that competes with it for food will help. I like floating plants because they do both at the same time. Also there are natural algae eaters like fish, tadpoles, and snails. If it is single celled algae then a uv light will kill it. I don't believe in all the chemicals and prefer to use natural things. If you have a new pond with fish its typical to have green water before it "cycles" and there is nothing you need to do but wait. People don't like the look of algae but it can provide a lot of good things for fish such as food, camouflage from predators, and a means to reduce unwanted waste like ammonia.

Rich17

Hi all
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got 9 small koi in at the moment I don't know much about algea to me algea is algea I know that might sound stupid but the is a green slime on the bottom and water is going green again I just ordered a pond vac to give it a try as don't like chemicals myself

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Rich. Is this a new pond you are talking about? If there is a green slime on your liner that's fine. beneficial bacteria (bb) needs to build up on your liner and filter otherwise the waste from the fish will kill them. It's the bb that converts ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate which is less harmful. Plants will use the nitrates. Essentially when you build a pond you are hoping to create an ecosystem that naturally balances itself. When your pond cycles you get all your bb going so the wastes are broken down to inert compounds. Until your pond cycles there can be dangerous amounts of ammonia, and nitrite in your pond. There is a lot on the gpf on pond cycling if you are interested in learning more.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
u.v bulbs emit light long after their effectiveness is diminished and even totally depleted. after around 8 months of continous use, U.V bulbs start losing their effectiveness, by 11 months, theyre pretty much trash. they do make a new bulb that claims twice that lifespan...cant verify the claim either way!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My impression is it wasn't singled cell algae that was the problem. It's hard to know the right answer when you don't have a complete description of the pond and what is going on. I have seen other forums that make you fill out a questionnaire about your pond before they will answer your question. I thought it was a little onerous but I could see the benefit in some cases. I was guessing he was new to ponding because he had 9 small koi.

Rich17

Hi all
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes it's a new built pond been up and running for just under a month Yes it's a green slime on bottom my water is getting there now my uv light is working it's a brand new bulb thank you all your advise is much appreciated

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good luck, Since it is new I would recommend to get a test kit to monitor the water. A new pond can be rough to keep the water healthy for your fish even for an experienced ponder. It's not how it looks but it's a lot more important to keep ammonia readings at zero and nitrite very low so your fish stay healthy. Having plants in the pond and feeding the fish very sparingly for the first month or so will help.

Ask a Question