Algorem

Reaction score
Country
France
I have used tetra Crystal water twice in the last 36 hours which has cleared the pond of debris but now wish to use Algorem to clear Algae.......how long should i wait before before safe use....I have small new Koi Carp .......and a waterfeature UV pump which I cleaned the other day Yuck !! would appreciate clear instructions so I don't kill Nemo and the gang ! I understand that I mix the solution with pond water and apply with a watering can as per Crystal water and clean the pump filters before and after and leave the pump running.....is this correct..?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome kate simmons.

Please provide us with the following information so we can help you:

Water quality
* Ammonia Level (pond)
* Nitrite Level (pond)
* Ammonia Level (tap water)
* Nitrite Level (tap water)
* Ph Level, pond (If possible, KH, GH and chlorine)
* Ph Level, tap water (If possible, KH, GH and chlorine)
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

Other useful information:
* Water temperature?
* Pond size and how long has it been running?
* What is the name and size of the filter(s)?
* How often do you change the water and how much?
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
* How many fish in the pond and their type?
* What kind of water additives or conditioners have you used?
* What do you feed your fish and how often?
* Any new fish added to the pond recently?
* Any medications added to the pond?
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and pond
* Any unusual findings on the fish?
* Any unusual behaviour like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

If this is an EMERGENCY and your fish are in immediate danger, we encourage you to post ASAP regardless.

If you do not have a test kit, you may be able to take samples of your pond and tap water to your local fish store for testing (which is often free). Please request numerical results rather than generalizations like "OK", "fine", "safe", "acceptable", etc. However since knowing your water quality is important, we suggest you get your own test kit. A drop kit is both more accurate and much less expensive per test than the test strips.

Photos can also be a big help!

Reaction score
Chemicals chemicals chemicals. What I would do (and this is what I did) is buy a good UV light and you will be done with algae. It's really that simple. Once the algae is killed you can leave it on for preventive maintenance or turn it off. You can also wait for things to clear up but that doesn't mean that you will have clear water this year or next year. It also doesn't mean that the water won't turn green again once it is cleared up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Kate do you have an API water test kit if sdo what are the readings ?
Treating with Algorem after your other treatment , you would need to allow six days and a lrge ater change before even thinging of it but first we need your water perameters before you do any more treating of the pond.
About Algorem :-
When you do use it make sure you read the instructions fully [inside of back cover .
Next make sure you do a water change prior to using it especially if you have not changed it for a while or have had heavy rain in your area of late
Turn off your UV-c then mixing with pond water you need to use the exact amount to the correct gallonage of your pond.
It is vitally important that until your water clears that you keep a keen eye on your fish [Note***]
Then you can only use it again after six days and another partial water change then everything I have mentioned in this reply rule wie before you treat again
Note*** We have had a number of members loose their fish whiolst using this product mastakes where made such as not knowing exact gallonage, not doing waterchages after heavy rain , treating the wrong time of day, [you only treat them in the morning not last thing during the day] .
I use it from time to time and have had no problems with it myself however I have 30 years experiance of koi keeping behind me and as such am fine using it but red the other threads about this subject before making your mind up about using it as mistakes can be costly to say the least:-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/tetra-algorem-green-water.19491/

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/thr...-pond-12hrs-later-almost-all-fish-dead.19506/

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/fish-dead-after-treating-pond-with-algorem.19550/

Along with my response to these losses :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/thr...-been-having-problems-with-the-product.19749/

I checked with my Tetra contact about these deaths and he stated that as long as all the instructons are met you shouldnt have a problem with it

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
France
thank you Dave.......most helpful....I have taken out the water feature UV pump this morning and have cleaned it ( OASE 5000 UVC) and have left it switched off to allow the sediment to settle that I stirred up wading into the pond.....I will get a water testing kit but after cleaning the UV bulb will wit to see if that does the trick before using Algrem

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How much and how often are you feeding your fish?
You need to get your pond balanced biochemically. This takes time. If you start using these pond 'treatments' this early in the life of a pond you will never be able to stop, turning your pond into a money pit. Control what is added to your pond, including food, provide sufficient aquatic plantings, proper flow rate and filtration and your pond will naturally respond becoming a thing of enjoyment and not worry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
thank you Dave.......most helpful....I have taken out the water feature UV pump this morning and have cleaned it ( OASE 5000 UVC) and have left it switched off to allow the sediment to settle that I stirred up wading into the pond.....I will get a water testing kit but after cleaning the UV bulb will wit to see if that does the trick before using Algrem
Used it myself yesterday after a few days of really heavy rain [from one of your hurricanes guys :LOL: keep them your side of the pond please] thanx ;).
The net result was I still have all my koi which are healthy and happy in a crystal clear pond.
Remembering first to do a 40% water change the day before .
The first part of the treatment involves a bit of reading [ i;e the instructions follow them to the letter].
Then making sure I have the right amount of Algorem to treat the pond with mixing it with pond water have treated the pond.
I also adding extra air to the pond throughout the treatment checking the Ph to see if it dropped at the end of the treatment .
Another and vitally important part over the whole treatment of the pond , Observation of our koi from the start of the treatment to the very end of the treatment.
It means you have to be on hand to see if your fish develope problems and thus can quickly be rectified by a water change or the quick hospitalization of any fish that may become affected by this or any other treatment for that matter .

Dave

Reaction score
Country
France
Used it myself yesterday after a few days of really heavy rain [from one of your hurricanes guys :LOL: keep them your side of the pond please] thanx ;).
The net result was I still have all my koi which are healthy and happy in a crystal clear pond.
Remembering first to do a 40% water change the day before .
The first part of the treatment involves a bit of reading [ i;e the instructions follow them to the letter].
Then making sure I have the right amount of Algorem to treat the pond with mixing it with pond water have treated the pond.
I also adding extra air to the pond throughout the treatment checking the Ph to see if it dropped at the end of the treatment .
Another and vitally important part over the whole treatment of the pond , Observation of our koi from the start of the treatment to the very end of the treatment.
It means you have to be on hand to see if your fish develope problems and thus can quickly be rectified by a water change or the quick hospitalization of any fish that may become affected by this or any other treatment for that matter .

Dave
Hi Dave..........have tested the PH Level it appears to be between 7.5 and 8........and I had a dead fantail Koi floating yesterday :( one eye looked normal the other was completly black and slightly swollen but I'm assuming it was where it was laid on it's side and got burnt by the sun......poor Nemo.....any ideas ??.......I have purchased some Algorem but will wait for your expert advice.........sorry about the Hurricane......it's glorious here in Normandy !!!......thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave..........have tested the PH Level it appears to be between 7.5 and 8........and I had a dead fantail Koi floating yesterday :( one eye looked normal the other was completly black and slightly swollen but I'm assuming it was where it was laid on it's side and got burnt by the sun......poor Nemo.....any ideas ??.......I have purchased some Algorem but will wait for your expert advice.........sorry about the Hurricane......it's glorious here in Normandy !!!......thanks
Hi Kate as long as you follow the correct instructions,treat the pond in the morning , have done a 40% water change after rain, added extra air stones and observe the pond to make sure non of the fish are suffering [and if so to act quickly and remove infected fish to fresh water] then I cannot see it being a problem for you .

Dave

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi Kate as long as you follow the correct instructions,treat the pond in the morning , have done a 40% water change after rain, added extra air stones and observe the pond to make sure non of the fish are suffering [and if so to act quickly and remove infected fish to fresh water] then I cannot see it being a problem for you .

Dave
thanks Dave.........will get on it now.....btw what are airstones ?....I have two chambered concrete building blocks in the pond which the UV water fountain sits on to keep it off the bottom and a couple of old house bricks propped up against it for support as well as two blocks( think they are granite) for the fish to hide under and shelter from the sun.....do I leave the fountain running after I have added the Algorem ?.....;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Kate you need as much areation in the pond as possible it may well be an idea to buy a pond ai pump the extra airline and airstones before you do this .
A little bit of algae isnt going to hurt any till then by the way this is what I mean by airstones air line and air pumps :-

http://www.absolute-koi.com/cat3.html

The airpumps are waterproof and can be left running 24/7 265 days a year by the side of the pond , they are a must when treating a pond to add that extra air into the pond Kate

Dave

Ask a Question