Fish dead after treating pond with AlgoRem

Reaction score
Country
France
The container of AlgoRem that I purchased had NO instructions for use other than dosage - 50ml/1000 liters of pond water. I now have dead fish. All were mature koi. I am devastated and won't use this product again. There definitely needs to be clear instructions on the container.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Very sorry for the loss of your mature koi.

Recently , there was a discussion about this product. If you'd like to read some of the posts, type in Algorem into the search box.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry to hear and that is the main reason I do not use any of the stuff in my pond

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Any report of fish loss due to a pond 'treatment' makes me sad...........and very angry.
Sure, there are those that will only read the large print on a product label. You know all of the hype about how good and safe the produce is that leaves out the one most important word.....'BUT' and then relegates the warnings and disclaimers to the smallest readable print that they can use without someone commencing litigation against them.
If these manufacturers were to include a complete and accurate MSDS with every unit of product sold, a large majority of these types disasters could be avoided.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The container of AlgoRem that I purchased had NO instructions for use other than dosage - 50ml/1000 liters of pond water. I now have dead fish. All were mature koi. I am devastated and won't use this product again. There definitely needs to be clear instructions on the container.
Just reading about your loss gives me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. A loss like that can be emotionally devistating, but we recover and we learn.
I thought it would be appropriate to mention that the loss may not be entirely due to toxicity of the chemical that you added. The problem is that when you kill off an overload of algae, you both loose the oxygen that they were contributing to the pond and you now have the bacteria bloom that is feeding on the dead algae. Those bacteria are putting an additional demand for oxygen on the pond. So you quickly go from a well oxygenated environment to an oxygen deprived environment. That is what often kills the fish.
I try to avoid chemicals that will kill the algae. Algae blooms or an excess of algae is usually a sign that the water is overly enriched with nutrients (fish waste). Reducing the nutrients that the algae needs will result in a gradual dying back of the algae. It isn't an instant solution, and we all get impatient when things aren't quite right, but it is a safer approach to managing a pond.
Our small ponds are not natural environments and with too heavy stocking levels, they tend to be unstable. Quick fixes make them more unstable and lead to disasters. I prefer gentle nudges in the correct direction.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Just reading about your loss gives me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. A loss like that can be emotionally devistating, but we recover and we learn.
I thought it would be appropriate to mention that the loss may not be entirely due to toxicity of the chemical that you added. The problem is that when you kill off an overload of algae, you both loose the oxygen that they were contributing to the pond and you now have the bacteria bloom that is feeding on the dead algae. Those bacteria are putting an additional demand for oxygen on the pond. So you quickly go from a well oxygenated environment to an oxygen deprived environment. That is what often kills the fish.
I try to avoid chemicals that will kill the algae. Algae blooms or an excess of algae is usually a sign that the water is overly enriched with nutrients (fish waste). Reducing the nutrients that the algae needs will result in a gradual dying back of the algae. It isn't an instant solution, and we all get impatient when things aren't quite right, but it is a safer approach to managing a pond.
Our small ponds are not natural environments and with too heavy stocking levels, they tend to be unstable. Quick fixes make them more unstable and lead to disasters. I prefer gentle nudges in the correct direction.

Explained very well. A point many overlook when tossing alagecides into their ponds.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The demand for instant gratification has killed more pond fish than green water ever will! I refuse to stock algicides for that very reason, and every year one or two customers will get ticked off with me, because "Now I have to drive all the way to ----- !" :mad: People just want to dump $25 worth of crap into their pond, and POOF! everything is fixed. I'm winning some of them over, though!! ;)
John

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I agree! I have algaecides on my shelf but have used them sparingly. I also have 2 UVs. Both of my ponds have been up and running for 5 years+ and this year I have had no green water! A little string algae but the koi take care of that. Let nature take care of your water.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The problem is that when you kill off an overload of algae, you both loose the oxygen that they were contributing to the pond and you now have the bacteria bloom that is feeding on the dead algae. Those bacteria are putting an additional demand for oxygen on the pond. So you quickly go from a well oxygenated environment to an oxygen deprived environment. That is what often kills the fish.

Yep, that is why ALL of these products state that the dead algae has to be removed and increased aeration is highly recommended during treatment...

...and... after a bit of google... Alogorem's instructions did state this...

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a

I have been trying to Google to see what is said on the back of the bottle...

...cause everywhere else on the Internet and on Tetra's website there are quite obvious instructions... most likely provided by Tetra...

From 3 different retailers, the instructions are EXACTLY same...most likely due to being from Tetra

...My guess this is what is written on the back of the bottle..

http://www.tetra.net/en/en/pond/fish/care/algae-control/tetra-pond-algorem
"Important: Make sure the carbonate hardness of the pond water is above 4"

http://www.aquatix-2u.co.uk/tet115a-tetra-pond-algorem-treatment.html
Add 50ml of AlgoRem for every 1000 litres (220 gallons) of pond water.

Following treatment, remove as much clumped algae from the pond as possible to prevent it rotting down and releasing more nutrients into the water.

It is advisable, as with any algae-removing remedy, to aerate the water during treatment.

Always read the instructions carefully before use, especially in softwater areas.

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Tetra-Pond-AlgoRem-250ml/productinfo/TETRAALGOREM/
Add 50ml of AlgoRem for every 1000 litres (220 gallons) of pond water. Following treatment, remove as much clumped algae from the pond as possible to prevent it rotting down and releasing more nutrients into the water. It is advisable, as with any algae-removing remedy, to aerate the water during treatment. Always read the instructions carefully before use, especially in softwater areas.

http://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/tetra-pond-algorem-250ml#tab-description
Following treatment, remove as much clumped algae from the pond as possible to prevent it rotting down and releasing more nutrients into the water.

It is advisable, as with any algae removing remedy, to aerate the water during treatment. Always read the instructions carefully before use, especially in soft water areas.

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Also take notice the author of this thread was created 20june, only posted once, returned once in 26june... and has not been back seeking help nor posting any other content...

My guess this is a peeved off customer looking to satisfy Google with some negative reviews for this product so to detract future potential customers...

....rather than possibly acknowledge the instructions were not followed...

People HAVE to follow the instructions... Remove the clumping algae... increase aeration by placing air diffusers... make sure your carbonate hardness is appropriate... and whatever else the instructions tell ya to do... do it... don't overlook this by thinking what you're doing "will be ok" cause some fella on a forum said you'd be ok...

People have to do their own due diligence...

If the instructions are not clear to ya... then Google for better instructions... really that simple...

Ask a Question