all dead in one day.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Very sorry to hear this. I hope you don't give up. Learn and move forward. Maybe it's time for a bigger pond? Small ponds can be more difficult to manage that medium sized ones, in my opinion. Less room for error.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The warmer water gets, the less oxygen it can hold. Just because you move it doesn't mean it contains oxygen.
John

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The warmer water gets, the less oxygen it can hold. Just because you move it does't mean it contains oxygen.
John
That's why my goal was to cool the water via shade. I figured I could add air all day, but in my case at least, the water temp. was the issue. Thanks for clarifying that, John.

Reaction score
Country
United States
[
But warm water can't hold as much oxygen as cooler water -- can you say for sure without testing it?
I belie
UOTE="Mmathis, post: 282692, member: 3238"]But warm water can't hold as much oxygen as cooler water -- can you say for sure without testing it?[/QUOTE]
But warm water can't hold as much oxygen as cooler water -- can you say for sure without testing it?
I believe I have plenty of oxygen but how do u test for oxygen in water??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So sorry to hear that. I had a problem with warm water too (large surface area to heat up my pond) and the tempt reached 91 F a couple of days (a month ago). I have not had any casualty. I added water hyacinth and water lily to try to shade the pond, it seems to work as I see the fish are more active and water's not warm to the touch anymore. Also, I have air pump going all day.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
How often should to test for DO?

If you are concerned or curious or have fish gasping at the surface, it would be interesting to test.
Otherwise, no test.

Keep your pond within reasonable stocking levels, not a lot of organic decomposition and with good water circulation, your pond will be fine.
It will never do any harm to add an airstone. Your fish and bacteria will thank you.;)

Ask a Question