all the goldfish died....need some advise....how long to wait

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do have two air pumps running 24 hours a day, one in each of the ponds. and the waterfalls also run 24 hours a day. I also have two water pumps, one in each pond for circulation

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have found that goldfish require more oxygen than the mosquito fish. An overcrowded pond with less than the necessary aerators will make the goldfish suffer. You may find them at the surface looking like they are gasping for air, especially in the evening. I would try adding another aerator to the pond...or two depending on the placement of them. I've lost a large pond of huge goldfish during a storm when the electricity went out for several hours. (No, I don't have a backup generator. I would be a good idea, if I knew that the electricity was out, but I slept through the blackout. I also had an accident where the heater malfunctioned and electricuted some of the fish. So, I no longer use a heater even in the winter as I don't really need one. I'm in Phoenix, and we are lucky if we get cold weather!)
I also had a goldfish, rather large in size that developed a huge tumor. The goldfish was getting fatter and fatter until it died. I did a necropsy and the tumor consisted of a clear gel-like substance. Looked like jelly balls. Is anyone familiar with this disorder? Like you, I didn't want to end his life, just in case I was wrong about his condition.
BTW, In Phoenix, the water is more than 80 degrees F. for the most part....which may be why the fish require more oxygen!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Goldfish are quite adaptable to anoxic and anaerobic conditions.
Many research papers have been written on this phenomena. Here is what one has to say-
"Goldfish (Carassius auratus L.) are very tolerant of anaerobic conditions. They
can survive up to 16 h of anoxia (Van den Thillart, 1977) by means of modified
anaerobic metabolism. This anaerobic metabolic pathway results in the production of ethanol and carbon dioxide (Van den Thillart & Kesbeke, 1978;
Shoubridge & Hochachka, 1980; Mourik et al. 1982; Van den Thillart et al. 1983; Van den Thillart & Van Waarde, 1985)."
SIMULTANEOUS DIRECT AND INDIRECT CALORIMETRY
ON NORMOXIC AND ANOXIC GOLDFISH

BY J. VAN WAVERSVELD, A. D. F. ADDINK AND G. VAN DEN
THILLART

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
dead fish will eventually happen to everyone in this hobby. I agree a QT is the best and safest method.

Forums can tend to get very negative fast, and that is why I was hesitant to even post this info. People can get very upset about life and that is understandable.

something caused my Goldfish to die and all I am doing is trying to figure out what it was and how to not have it happen again.

thanks again to everyone who posted to this thead and keeping it information.
That isnt the point looked after a goldfish will live to 40+ a koi to 80+ but break QT at your own risk my friend nobody is being negative just pointing out your mistakes , you dont have to take our advice .
We give it freely and to the best of our knowledge as does every other member if you dont want to hear thats you perogative

Dave

Ask a Question