allergic reaction from plants

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Has anyone had any problems handling their pond plants? Cut back my plants to move some inside last week and now have a nasty rash on both arms. Took me a while to figure out where it came from. I cut up the large elephant ears, thalia and hibiscus and moved them inside. I dragged the huge clumps in, one under each arm. Now have contact dermitis on both arms and suspect the irritated eye I have may be from getting sap from these plants in my eye. Topical treatments not working so taking steroids.
Are any of these plants able to cause a reaction? I don't see anything on the listing for these.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
taro can cause it and I try to stay away from the oils coming out of the cut stems .Cannas also can cause it for me .

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
andy- didn't consume any of the plant but thinking if the plant in raw form is toxic maybe it could cause problems.
adavisus said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taro

Might want to check out the toxicity of Calcium oxalate, raphides

Regards, andy
Sissy- glad to hear someone else has a problem (don't take that wrong). luckily we keep pregnasone on hand for yellow jacket stings( hubby is very allergic). 2 pills and after 2 hours rash is fading, itching stopped and eye is feeling normal. Going for lasik in 2 weeks and don't want complications. Guess I will be using my full arm gloves from now on working with these plants.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not gotten anything from those plants, but the black eyed susan hurt me big time. All those little hairs on the stem and leaves.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I keep a box of surgical gloves handy and keep anti bacterial stuff down by the basement door .I think it has helped the last 8 or 9 years ,but not all the time .I had problems the first year here after planting them

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Wow- wish I would have known about this last week. Had elephant ear a couple of years ago and didn't have a problem but didn't handle it at all. I do have gloves that cover the entire arm so will use those. Are seriously considering getting rid of these plants thought=

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good topic & good information. I have LOTS of allergies to everything green, but so far no contact reaction to the pond plants.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think it really happens when you rub your skin against them than just contact .I would never give them up for a little rash that you can prevent by letting them die back to the ground .I have learned to wait .

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess I should have just turned off the water supply and let them die back but we had freezing weather coming in and with roots exposed, didn't want to take a chance on losing them. They are surviving in the basement pond but will have to cut back more of the leaves. Got to get my gloves! Prednisone works wonders!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
this is what the maryland state flower did to me
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:59725]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:59724]

my arm is around twice its normal size.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Maybe you should consider suing the State of Maryland. They should be more careful in choosing state symbols. And you have the pictures to prove that you have suffered! Go get 'em, Addy!!!!! :fingersx:
John

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol hummmmmmmmm maybe I could become a millionaire! Since living here I am discovering allergies, never noticed any in arizona, but there we just grow rocks.
Any plant with fine hairs on it now has me very nervous. I am waiting until it is cold enough to groom with a coat on. What bothers me is I have been grooming the gardens here for the past 4 years without an issue.
Just can't recall if that flower has been around.

Now overly cautious. Maybe all the poison ivy hits I have taken has sensitized me to flowers now.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yikes Addy! I didn't get any swelling, just itchy rash. Knew I got something splashed in my eye but took me a while to link it to the rash. We keep steroid tablets on hand for yellow jacket stings. Guess we need to keep them fro plants too! I have a plot of ornamental grasses and one of those is nasty to touch but not sure which one it is so don't handle any.

Ask a Question