alligator decoy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well, it happened: the local predator population has now been fully represented in our yard, except for coyotes, which I hope aren't in the city but are certainly in the neighboring county. A blue heron visited our pond, and I'm now missing 2 koi and anywhere from 1-3 other fish. I can't tell for sure yet; the fish are understandably freaked out and generally in hiding. I'm putting netting over the pond today, but I'd hate for that to be permanent. I was thinking about getting a floating alligator decoy and maybe one of those irregular-interval water-dumping fountain type things as the long term solution. Does anyone have any experience with either of these options (and I apologize for the inelegant description of the second item, which I don't know how else to describe). I'm sick about the lost fish and don't want to lose any more. Thanks, as always.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Collen strings up fishing line way up over her pond tree to tree and hangs things on it to deter them from landing .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
(and I apologize for the inelegant description of the second item, which I don't know how else to describe)

They are sold under the trade name "Scarecrow" and they do work. Couple of drawbacks....they are battery operated and they will not distinguish between a heron or a cat....or even you. I have been sprayed more than once because I forgot that the device was even there.
This device uses infrared technology to detect temperature differences, so a motionless predator is still detected.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have a fake alligator in my pond and nope it does not work. Had to put up netting over mine and keeping it up forever! The squirt deals work but not in freezing weather and herons will come all year here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you all for the suggestions. At the moment the sprinkler is the long term option. But would a spray fountain also work? It would look nicer and wouldn't spray me (I'm around the pond pretty much always if I'm home). Might the spray fountain's spraying water deter, or is it primarily the unexpected turning on of the sprinkler/scarecrow that makes it effective?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is the sudden on that scares it. Alligator heads worked for me for about 3 months then the heron figured out it was fake.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It is the sudden on that scares it. Alligator heads worked for me for about 3 months then the heron figured out it was fake.
I suspected/feared as much. I'll go with something that has an element of surprise to spray the heron. I've got the netting up, and I already want to take it down. I hate it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Once a heron eats from the pond, only a net will work. They will risk the alligator head. The head works to deter them before they eat.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I suspected/feared as much. I'll go with something that has an element of surprise to spray the heron. I've got the netting up, and I already want to take it down. I hate it.
I have the wide weave net hung high over the pond, like 3 feet. Don't even notice it now. The herons still fly over almost every day

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here is a picture of how it looks. The cable was my snow load cable, still have not removed it. I had herons visit in the snow in January.

I did fishing line around the pond, fencing, fishing line over the pond (that was a real pain) alligator heads, nothing worked but the net over the pond.
Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Maybe if I got posts on which to hang the netting to elevate it like yours, @addy1, I could live with it. Your pond looks amazing, by the way. I can't believe a heron found my pond so quickly. I don't exactly live in the country.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You get used to the net and you get to live w/the peace in knowing your fish are safe. I have the wide weave net also up high which allows me to get into the pond easier to maintain. Don't mind the green water.

IMG_8277.JPG

Ask a Question