Almost time!!!! a few last questions before it begins

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
So the time is almost here. The pond gets dug next week and the fun begins. I have a couple last questions I need help with though.
1. I went ahead and ordered another small liner for my waterfall build. I was worried that the original pond liner was cutting it close on having enough to pull up and do the waterfall as well. My plan is to line the pond as if there isnt a waterfall and then use the second liner to cover the waterfall and overlap into the pond. Im guessing, probably about 1-1.5' of overlapping over the pond liner. My question is, do i need to secure the waterfall liner to the pond liner at all or will the water pressure hold it down. I have seam tape and black silicone I can use if necessary, but wanted to hear from somebody that has built it like that and what they thought.
2. I've moved onto planning the plants I'm going to start out with. Im going to get a bunch of water hyacinth to start and then add some emergent plants along the shelf as well(not sure which ones yet) My question is, is it ok to start with a bunch of plants before any fish are in the pond? I know they use the nitrates created by the fish being in the pond and if no fish are in the pond, will they be ok with just whatever is in the water and sunlight? Do I need to add anything to the water to help them until I have fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No need to seal the two overlapping liners - just bring the pond liner up under the waterfall liner and vice versa.

And yes - go ahead and add plants. Just be aware that they may struggle until you get fish. You can fertilize them to give them the extra boost they need until things get established.

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
No need to seal the two overlapping liners - just bring the pond liner up under the waterfall liner and vice versa.

And yes - go ahead and add plants. Just be aware that they may struggle until you get fish. You can fertilize them to give them the extra boost they need until things get established.
Thank you for the reply. Any recommendations on fertilizer?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yep you will be fine over lapping your waterfall liner over your pond liner, doesn’t really need water pressure to hold it down. What you don’t want is the water from the waterfall being able to wick back up and under the upper liner and out of the pond, but a 1-1.5’ overlap is plenty to stop that. Have both of my bogs water falling back into the pond with overlapping liners without issue, have also seamed liners together but that is where the liner is actually underwater all the time.

If it were me I would add plants before fish, most of our source water has something in it to feed them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
of well water youll have all kinds of minerals for plants to grow if you have city water then they add phosphates and the plants will do ok on that as well

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you draw up a plan and put it in here thats where we can help the most

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I overlapped the liner when I added the bog. About 2 feet.
No sealant.
20200425_123438.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Any recommendations on fertilizer?

The first couple of years our pond plants struggled mightily - they were yellow and scraggily and just seemed to be barely hanging on. I got some aquatic fertilizer and started feeding them, which helped get them over the hump. They really took off the third season and now it's like the plants are on steroids.

I bought one type of aquatic fertilizer that was in a tiny pellet form. I puzzled over how to use that in my pond plants and then someone here mentioned that they had wrapped fertilizer pellets in paper towel - making tiny packets - and stuffed that into the plant root ball in the pond. Not the easiest way to go, but it worked! I've also used Jobes fertilizer spikes - I like them because they are a bit more solid than the aquatic tabs and hold together a bit better - easier to cram into the root ball! I've use the tomato variety or the type for potted plants. They all work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I also like the big Laguna Once a Year plant fertilizer spikes. They make big ones and smaller ones. They have worked really well for my pond plants. Good luck as you begin your build! I know you are so excited!!!!!

Ask a Question