Alternate Pond Uses?

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well,,,,,,at least if any of us end up in prison together we will have something to talk about

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I built mine initially because I love water and always have. Living in the high desert my entire life, water has always been a wonderful thing and much appreciated. Ever since I was a little booger eater I got in every water hole I came across. I still do. So with a large yard that came with our house I thought a large pond would be perfect. Didn't really think much about fish and plants at the time, I just wanted water. But since then I have really got into water gardening and fish.

One great benefit I did not consider is that the pond is a wonderful fertilizer producer. Since I have a large food garden that has come in handy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I built mine initially because I love water and always have. Living in the high desert my entire life, water has always been a wonderful thing and much appreciated. Ever since I was a little booger eater I got in every water hole I came across. I still do. So with a large yard that came with our house I thought a large pond would be perfect. Didn't really think much about fish and plants at the time, I just wanted water. But since then I have really got into water gardening and fish.

One great benefit I did not consider is that the pond is a wonderful fertilizer producer. Since I have a large food garden that has come in handy.

What is your source of water?

We're on a well that supports the house alright, but I can't use it much for the pond so I've set up a catchment system from the roof. The surface area of the roof involved is half again bigger than the pond surface so a half inch of rain adds 1" + to the pond.
As for the fertilizer benefit, When I backwash the mechanical filter the waste goes to an area where there's some tall grasses. These are twice the size of the rest of them! I need to develop a distribution system and show some "love" to the others.:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What is your source of water?

We're on a well that supports the house alright, but I can't use it much for the pond so I've set up a catchment system from the roof. The surface area of the roof involved is half again bigger than the pond surface so a half inch of rain adds 1" + to the pond.
As for the fertilizer benefit, When I backwash the mechanical filter the waste goes to an area where there's some tall grasses. These are twice the size of the rest of them! I need to develop a distribution system and show some "love" to the others.:)

I fill the pond from the hose on city water. Our city water comes from the snow melt in the mountains just above us. We only get about 11" of rain a year so that doesn't provide much for anything. But the mountains above us get an average of 500" of snow a year which provides the water for the cities.

We also have water rights and pull irrigation water from Utah Lake. Its channeled through ditches throughout the area for people with water rights to use. That is how we water the yard, but the risk of chemicals getting into the ditches is too high to use the water for the pond.

Ask a Question