Alternate meal "First of the Year".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday it wass such a lovely day we thought we'd spend the day out by the pond U/V compromised as I am t the moment so on went a heavy factor sun cream and out we went .
About dinner time I'd come back out with sandwiches cool drinks and a treat for the koi , one whole Large Orange halved.
At first they didnt touch it but then our oldest koi a wise old lady of 28 came up underneath one and started to nibble and within a very short time up came the rest of our koi .
Within hours they had worried at these two halves so much to get the goodness from them that all that was left were two empty husks of orange peel
So you could say they enjoyed their first non koi food alternate meal of the season @Tula @Mmathis your both starting out showing careers this year yes!!!..... why not give them a boost of Vitamin C and drop your own orange halves into the pond , it all goes to help and their colouration does intensify

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Dave, I've wanted to try this and watermelon too :)
Thats one thing we have yet to try them on , I hope you havent fed your koi for the last 5 days it makes a mess of the show Vat otherwise .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Normally Maria we cut the orange in half then run a knife over where the fruit segments connect up. :cool:
Doing this loosens up the Orange quite a bit and after the larger koi have had their own fill, then the little ones eat their own fill and the big ones finish off whats left.:)
I've never heard of a petmart store feeding their goldfish with oranges before here in the UK . but its a nigh on free banquet for all and it will add to their girth .
Normally you see the opposite where they feed as little as profit margins dictate on the profit they make :(

Dave

Ask a Question