aluminum

Reaction score
modifying the filterfalls we have. i need a screen on which to place plastic filter media. i'm going to build a pvc frame to elevate the screen about 6-8 inches off the bottom. then the screen. then there'll be another frame on which will sit one layer of matting and then bioribbon.

I'd prefer to find some hard plastic, but readily available is the kind of aluminum that you put on your screen door to add protection from dogs, etc. Is aluminum ok?

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
You can purchase nylon screen door netting instead of aluminum screen. The nylon screen is much more pliable and easier to cut and work with. It's also non-toxic.

Maybe I misunderstood, but you can purchase from any hardware store, plastic overhead light defusers that are rigid enough to hold some weight.

Reaction score
I need something like a seive to let the water through. The screen I could see, but light diffusers? Sounds intriguing

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
D&RW,

Lowes and Home Depot both have white colored plastic light defusers in the lighting section of the store. They are typically 2'X4', and about 1/2" thick with 1/2" square holes in it. I cut one to size to fit in the bottom of my boi-filter to allow water flow thru the filter medium.

It is easy to cut and work with. I tihink it might be just what your looking for.

Reaction score
check it out. Thanks very much for the idea. Some of the pond vendors sell grates, but they're 50-60 bucks. this was 11.

Attachments

• garden pond foto 65-expansion 2009.jpg
    garden pond foto 65-expansion 2009.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 290

Ask a Question