New Homeowner with Wetlands

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently purchased a home in Westchester NY and have only seen it in the winter with a foot of snow. That snow has melted and revealed a little bog/swamp/wetlands in the backyard (see pic below - I don't know the difference).

I don't mind it because its far from the home (about 100ft) and I think there is an opportunity to create something beautiful from this.

We plan to clean up some of the fallen trees and bushes once we identify what is alive and what is dead but I don't have the funds to hire a professional.

Am I naive to think that a little digging and landscaping can create a beautiful small pond that will attract frogs and other amphibians?

I would appreciate any advice for options that don't cost too much and would be suitable for an amateur like myself. I am looking forward to many weekends of projects and I have a few friends that can help so manpower and time are plentiful :)

Thank you so much in advance. Can't wait to one day post the "after" pic!
2015-04-07 11.29.45.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The spot you have there is likely a vernal pond. Meaning it will only have water there in Spring, and maybe Fall if its rainy, but it will likely dry up in the warmer months.

Vernal ponds are very important for amphibians who lay eggs in them, especially if they last long enough. I'm not really sure what you could do with that spot, because I don't know much about changing natural wetlands, but at very least you could buy some native plants to put in or around it and that alone will add a lot! Strategically placed logs are good hiding spots for frogs, toads, and salamanders. A few large rocks could add to it as well.

You've got something I wish I had. Unlike a typical garden, you have the option to really make a nice natural garden with ferns, rushes, and other native plants that do well in shaded, wet areas. Beyond that, you could also put in a liner pond near that wet area that you would have better control over and prevent from drying up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with JB. Likely seasonal but a lot of "natural" potential there. JB do you think of they dug it slightly deeper and topped it off in the dry season it would work?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and better it is only wet for awhile because of mosquito's

Reaction score
Country
United States
The spot you have there is likely a vernal pond. Meaning it will only have water there in Spring, and maybe Fall if its rainy, but it will likely dry up in the warmer months.

Vernal ponds are very important for amphibians who lay eggs in them, especially if they last long enough. I'm not really sure what you could do with that spot, because I don't know much about changing natural wetlands, but at very least you could buy some native plants to put in or around it and that alone will add a lot! Strategically placed logs are good hiding spots for frogs, toads, and salamanders. A few large rocks could add to it as well.

You've got something I wish I had. Unlike a typical garden, you have the option to really make a nice natural garden with ferns, rushes, and other native plants that do well in shaded, wet areas. Beyond that, you could also put in a liner pond near that wet area that you would have better control over and prevent from drying up.

Thank you everyone.

JB your response was especially helpful. I would hesitate to add a liner after being informed about the breeding area these ponds create - I do not want to disturb nature unless I am absolutely sure I can make it as good or better for more species to thrive...I am far from there but it has encouraged me to do more research.

I looked up vernal ponds online and many of the photos look very similar to the photo I took. I didn't see any photos that looked like transformation but I will have more time to search tonight. I would greatly appreciate it if you or anyone have an links or photos of any transformations for inspiration.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
really interesting since there is a big vernal pool near my house

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JB do you think of they dug it slightly deeper and topped it off in the dry season it would work?

I think digging it slightly deeper could possibly extend the wetness period by a few weeks (which is a good thing for tadpoles like chorus frogs that are quick growers but often are just short of transforming before shallower ponds dry up), but I don't think topping it off in the dry season would be an option, the water would probably absorb too quickly for the effort to be worth it.

JB your response was especially helpful. I would hesitate to add a liner after being informed about the breeding area these ponds create - I do not want to disturb nature unless I am absolutely sure I can make it as good or better for more species to thrive...

I probably wouldn't put in a liner right where the standing water is, but I'd do one off to the side somewhere, as a separate small pond (or even a bog) as an alternative for frogs and anything else that may be in the area. Birds especially love the fresh water.
Again, the addition of native plants alone would be a huge help for native wildlife. Along with water, plants are really the most important thing to attracting wildlife. Certain flowers attract hummingbirds, others are great for insects, which of course are food for frogs, toads, and birds. Typical garden center plants look nice but often won't be of much benefit to insects and animals.

EDIT: I found this Vernal Pond guide, I didn't read through it so I don't know if it'll help but it may be something to look at. http://herpcenter.ipfw.edu/outreach/VernalPonds/VernalPondGuide.pdf

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Makes sense JB, I am like a fish out of water (excuse the pun) when talking about natural wetlands.... We have property in a location that the average well depth is 600-900 feet down to hit water LOL. My husband tells me stories of growing up in Oklahoma where water falls from the skies and it sounds like a Fairy Tell to me. LOL

S.HASS, welcome and keep us posted. I'd love to see the progress you make and I agree, I see a lot of potential there :).

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!
We have a seasonal wetlands back in our woods. Summer wet only if it has rained a lot, spring wet and mushy, fall usually dry. Not readily accessible so we just leave it be.

Like they say above could be a neat area, see if it holds water all summer then make plans.

Ask a Question