An exciting discovery!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
PUT SOME ROTTING LOGS IN YOUR YARD AND keep them wet salamander heaven
I think this guy would agree! We spotted him on a hike years ago - happy in his little tree stump home.
salamander.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is where I spotted my one and only in a pile of rotting wood, so it is still there rotting just for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Back at my old pond at my old house in fairly busy neighborhood in the middle of a city, my 3 foot by 10 foot ”pond” had a newt visitor. Only saw him two or three times swimming up to get air. Never saw him again. No idea how he got there but my mind was blown.

now I live in the middle of nowhere out in the country, bigger pond, surrounded by creeks and lakes...but no newt visitors yet.....:(

this thread must have brought me good fortune!

I did my spring cleaning of my pond and as I was refilling It a newt swam up to the surface to gulped some air and swam back down to the bottom! my pond has arrived!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I build the tall power lines out in the woods and areas in areas no one want to go due to hills swamps you name it ... and i see more wild life when we get into populated areas far more then when we are out in the wilds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I build the tall power lines out in the woods and areas in areas no one want to go due to hills swamps you name it ... and i see more wild life when we get into populated areas far more then when we are out in the wilds.
I agree with this. When I lived in the Chicago suburbs we saw tons of wildlife. Coyotes & foxes trotting down the sidewalks during the day. Raccoons, opossums, and skunks wandering through the tiny suburban yards & living under sheds or in the storm sewers. Birds, squirrels, chipmunks, etc... living right up next to or under the houses.
Then I moved to 10 rural, forested acres in NC. It took almost a month for ANY birds to come into the feeders we put up. The wildlife is actually wild here - they don't HAVE to live on top of the humans, so... they don't. After being in this location for over a decade, we now have our fair share of critters that frequent the yard, but I still find them more 'skittish' and 'wild' than their suburban counterparts.
Our pond here does attract more than its fair share of amphibians, though, and WAY more than our pond in Chicago. We also see more snakes & lizards hanging around. But I know there are a lot more unseen creatures lurking in the background than we ever see on a regular basis.

Ask a Question