An Observation

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
People are easy to train, at least I have been for my little Leo and my sweet Dagon (may he rest in peace). My little Leo growels when he wants something then does the eyes looking at me and looking at what he wants back and forth till I catch on. I think he has to growel and bark to express himself because he is so little he thinks that's the only way anyone will notice.

I put him out, he does his business then barks at the gate to come back in.
If he wants on my lap and he can't easily jump up there he growels.
If he wants food, he gets a distinct look on his face and growels.
If he wants a Greenie, he completely freaks out, groweling, barking, licking, jumping, running etc. He loves Greenies.

He is lucky he has such an obedient, well trained human.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yes, Pecan and Addy, our dogs have us trained as well, that is for sure!
Great news!!! I was soooo excited this morning. I got Yukon from the pen, and brought him inside for the hour before I left for work. Right away he acted like he wanted to play, so I got on the floor, and even got a video of him playing 3-way tug of war with Denali and Smokey! Sooo cute! Now, if I can remember how to save it on YouTube .... Anyhow, while he was playing, it didn't bother him I was close by. He even came TOWARD me to get a toy out of my hand! And, a little later, he licked my hand when I reached down to pet him! OMG, I was sooo excited!
Tonight, after work, and he and Denali were in the pen together all day, I opened the gate and he came out without me picking him up. He was wagging his tail and panting looked so adorable ... and HAPPY! Again, at one point, he came toward me when I was talking to him. Usually when I would talk, he would back off, which he still does, but he's learning to not be so afraid. He is just making leaps and bounds, far quicker than I expected, after the first day of total panic look on his face every time he saw me or saw me looking at him. Things are definitely looking up for him. And, fact I'm the only human for him to come into contact with, it's making it easier for him to digest. I'm hoping by the end of May, when my sister and niece come down for the long weekend, he will be more sociable with people. I'll have to bring the neighbor kids over to meet him, once I think he's ready to learn other humans can be friendly, too.
I don't think he was physically abused anymore. I think he simply was never touched or petted or talked to and just was a "dog in a pen". The vet said he is between 8 and 10 weeks old, so I was right on the mark with between 2-3 months. He is gaining weight hand over fist. I thought he was in good shape when he arrived, but he must really like the dog food. LOL I think he has gained several pounds already. Tomorrow he will have been here for a week.
He still stays under the table next to my recliner, but if I reach down to touch him, he no longer moves away, but rather moves toward my hand to see if I have anything for him. If not, he licks my hand anyhow. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Rebel, I would never have guessed he would come out this fast. Still is not totally in it for me, but making leaps and bounds in that direction. I've seen wild animals tame quicker than he did the first 3 days, but the freedom he has been given this past weekend maybe helped more than I thought, plus the fact my little Boston is sooo determined to get him to be her pal, and she has certainly accomplished that feat. I'm curious to see what he will look like when he's full grown, and how big he will get. My best guess right now is that he will be about 40-50# and mid height. We shall see ... some say they think he looks part St. Bernard! Yikes, I sure hope he doesn't get that big! He does not have big enough paws for that size of dog, though. I used to raise Golden Retrievers, and his paws are smaller than the Goldens at the same age, so hoping that will hold true with his finished size, too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
lol the more secure he feels the more he'll be a "puppy" again. I'm betting by the looks of him he wont be a small dog thats for sure. Kinda looks like a St Bernard though...that was my first thought with the pics. Oh well if he is the more to luv! lol and luv ya back!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think you were right the first time. He looks part Akita to me.

Attachments

• akitated005.JPG
    akitated005.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 253
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
More neat things about Yukon! Yes, JW, I think he REALLY looks Akita after seeing that picture! I had a lady call me yesterday, wondered if I still had the puppy I found ... Yikes! I thought she was the owner, and was starting to get my back up! Not going to let him go ... then she said if I didn't want him, she would take him. Felt so sorry for him if someone dumped him. LOL
Well, my friend came to get her things she had stored here, and Yukon came up to her, bouncing (like he has been doing with me) and licking her hand (same with me), but the best part was that he seemed really attached to her immediately. I was worried a new person would send him back into remission, but noooooo he loved her! I had to wonder if she sounded like a former person that was nice to him in his puppy life! I was petting him on his back without him running away or backing off. Been able to pet under chin a lot, but if I petted him on his back, he was frightened. That's a normal reaction to a wild animal, as they do not want something getting them from on top of their neck, so was going to take a while for him to understand it was ok for me or humans to do that. So, many more advances. And, as my friend said, "Yukon, I think you just needed someone like Patti in your life!"
OMG, a bullfrog is croaking on my pond right now!!! Woohoo, is that a wonderful sound! Only heard them once or twice last year, as they were already past breeding time before they appeared. Life is gooooooood! Outside for me now.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well guessing he found his forever home .He will be spolied rotten soon enough if not already .Life gave you someone to love for a reason .He is safe and knows it

Reaction score
While I have dogs, my avatar pic is of my cat Jasper. He loves to sit on the waterfall rocks and play in the water. Moving water fascinates him and he loves to eat the fish food he can paw out of the water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My kitties are both indoor kitties. They spend a lot of time looking out the windows at the birds though. My Siamese has no desire to go outside, but my old Tabby cat loves to go outside when it is warm. I try to let her out sometimes when I am out there working on the yard but she loves to eat my plants! And for some reason she can tell which are the most expensive and/or rare and those are the ones she immidiately runs to. She thinks they look the tastiest. Bad kitty.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The tree frogs where calling like crazy the last few nights, the maryland green frogs are croaking. They are all out hanging around the edges of the pond now. Eat bugs eat bugs lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep frogs out here and went to pick up mulch in my truck and went to cover it with the tarp after the guy loaded it and what jumps out but a frog and he told me that is an extra ten dollars for the frog .LOL I told him I have enough no thank you .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Sissy, I had a green and blue salamander come out of the mulch last year when I got a truck load. Very pretty, so I put him in the corner of my front flower bed, told him he was welcome to stay. :)
I had a bullfrog croaking this morning on the edge of the pond. When I tried to spot him, he would jump in and didn't look very big. Finally spotted one, not sure if it's the same one, but it's not very large, but he sure had a loud croak! Maybe he's trying to entice the lady frogs early before the big boys show up. LOL TONS of spring peepers jumping out of my way while I was pulling weeds in the flowers between the deck and pond. I love spring!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We get lots of those salamanders green, blue, orange ,red,pink .They scare the daylights out of you when they come running out of things .They sure come in a lot of colors and never saw so many of them as i have here .We even get some that look like rocks .Funny how when I talk to them they turn there head and look at me funny .Crazy thing to do but ,talk to them ,but i begin to think they understand .When I say move, they move .I have even seen them mad at me as they will whip there tail at me .Love the way they sit and watch what I'm doing .curious little critters

Ask a Question