An Observation

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
That's funny, you talk to them and they obey! They are not near as skittish as lizards. Maybe they simply move slower, so they have learned to figure out what is the best method to stay out of the way.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
maybe but there are some that are well behaved and some that are not .I have a habit of talking to everything .I guess it is just me .I have a couple of them that live around my pond and when ever I'm out there working they come out to watch .I wish they would help ,lazy suckers .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's not just you Sissy. I talk to all creatures as well. My Beta seems to really like it when I talk to him... My Siamese actually talks back, understands every word I am saying and I understand most of what he says. He does argue with me a lot though... My husband laughs and says "you are arguing with a cat and he is winning".

Last year one of my pretty fishies got chased by the boys a lot... It got so bad that I was worried about her. She looked so tired. So I would get in the pond and call her over. She would swim straight to me and rest between my feet. I put my hands in the water shooing all the boys away from her. She would just sit and rest under me. I spent a lot of time intervening on her behalf last summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, Pecan, that is so neat, your girl fish came to you for some rest! I was in my pond today. Can you believe it??? It's still winter, according to the calendar, and my pond was warm enough to get in it and move plants around. I wasn't totally underwater, but up to my shorts! Almost went in by accident LOL.
I, too, talk to everything. When I was digging on the new pond, a bird I'm not sure of what it was, came to help watch. He/she was VERY friendly, and I'm sure it wanted some bird food as the feeder was empty, but it was so windy, and that just empties the feeder, so I tossed some on the ground near the pond. It didn't take that little guy very long to come right up there and eat the food. I talk to anything living. It's just the animal lover in all of us! I would talk to the baby koi when I would feed them. I had several of them climbing into my hand for the food. But, they don't like me much right now, since I netted them and put them in the "castle" pond! I figure it's like they went from the ghetto to the castle. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Me too, I confess I talk to them all even the spiders and flies I have to rescue from my DH as he always tells me "better get this one out or he's a goner"! I get my little clear glass jar for the flies and talk and coax them in and out they go. The spiders are easier and they seem to listen better than the flies. They just get a short warning on how they could sure find more bugs to eat outdoors than in this house and then I scoop them in my hand and put them in my little Japanese Maple tree by the pond. Never been bitten yet.
My cats are talkers too and one more than the other. My big fat cat (real name Spooky), we call her cuz she's eats too much chats all the time. We chit chat back and forth on the couch all evening long while my other cat complains at me from a distance w/ loud squealing yowls cuz she's jealous of her sister cat. She just does not like her sister at all! Who ever gets to the couch beside me first is the happy cat for the night. Spooky does not yowl and whine about losing out as Boo does tho. If Boo loses out she will go to the kitchen and jump on the counter and do a loud holler saying "look at me I'm on the counter and I'm not supposed to be so come and get me"! And of course I do and she's so happy for the attention even tho she gets scolded. Silly cats and for some reason Spooky is deathly afraid of when the doorbell rings. She goes into panic mode and acts like there must be a serial killer at the door!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
poor fish don't know how good they will have it yet .I know my biggest koi aggie will get mad at me and I have to give her food so she will forgive me .She will swim under the waterfall and look out at me ,but not come to me and all the other fish getting attention and finally she gives up .I guess we are all a little nuts but that is the only way to get by these days .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
J.W. my cats are much like yours.

We have the Chihuahua
A Siamese
And a big fat old Tabby cat who was born in a barn in KS.

The three of them dislike each other and are very jealous of attention the others get. The Siamese does not allow the Tabby in the family room with us. He yells at her until she runs back up stairs. The Chihuahua has to sit on me and the Siamese has to sit on my husband and if this does not happen the Chihuahua growels and the Siamese yells.

The Tabby does get to lay on my husband at night when we go to bed... It's her time. But it makes the Chihuahua angry so every night he tries to keep her off my husband when we go to bed and every night she out smarts him and ends up on my husband. Poor Chihuahua, he tries so hard.

The Chihuahua and the Siamese like to fight with each others, chasing each other around the house making all kinds of noise, the Tabby just rolls her eyes at them... She thinks they are so childish. Then the Siamese will jump on her and try beating her up.

Funny thing about the Siamese is he is not very athletic like most cats. He falls off the couch and lands on his side or head but does not land on his feet. He has a hard time jumping on high things and often misses and lands on his butt instead of his feet. He runs into walls if he is not paying attention while trying to run through a doorway. I think it is because his eyes are so crossed it makes it difficult for him.

They are constant entertainment to watch and my husband and I talk to them and about them like they are our children. Funny how they have such distinct and different personalities.

As far as insects and such go, I have a real weakness for earth worms. It makes it hard to work on the flower beds and plant things. My heart hurts if I stick a shovel in and chop one in half. I try to be very careful and re-locate any I come across while planting. Worms are my friends.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Worms are good friends to have, Pecan! So are other bugs. I have to learn to quit feeding bugs to the fish and frogs. LOL Let them find their own food.
Here's a picture of Yukon, in his favorite afternoon napping zone. When I'm wondering where he is, this is where I look first.
s favorite place to take a nap.JPG
He can't keep up with Denali (Boston) or Smokey (Beagle) while they hunt for bullfrogs across the road in the ditch. And, if I hear a car coming, I always check to make sure he's not across the road! Since I get maybe 1 or 2 cars driving past a day (including the mailman), I don't have to worry much. :)
Oh, and the neighbor came by yesterday, and Yukon loved him, too! So, whatever was bugging him when he first arrived, it is sure gone from his system now. He loves everyone! Woohoo!!! And, consensus is that he's most likely part German Shepherd, and may likely be part collie (thus the ears that don't stand) rather than Akita. I'm sure there are other breeds in there, too, as I don't think he'll get over about 45-50#.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Smart pup! He found the perfect spot, shaded by the tree with lots of soft pine needles to lay on.

I am happy to hear he is doing so well. Sounds like he is fitting right in. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sounds like he found a small piece of heaven to me .home sweet home

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yes, he definitely died and went to heaven when he arrived at my house. I don't know if the people that dumped him realized that, but I'm thankful he landed here. I was looking to get a new dog anyhow, and wanted a pup, and this little guy just fit the bill, and no money spent buying him either. I'm glad I waited and had not bought anything yet. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad to hear Yukon is now a full fledged part of your family and behaving like a nice friendly fellow. You got your new pup and he got you! He was sent from Heaven.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yeah, I think he was sent from Heaven, JW. Tonight, when it was time to come into the house, I called him, he was in the back yard, and told him "come on, time to go inside". He looked at me for a minute, processed the request and then made a bee line for me! That was the first time that he came running to me on his own. He would follow the others, and I usually use Denali to show him to come inside, but this time he knew I meant him and he obeyed. Good boy, Yukon!!! And, it's very funny how Denali teaches him things. She knows that he always hesitates before coming into the house. Good thing not too many bugs yet, as I would hate to leave the door open for more than a few seconds once the bugs arrive. She will go out, come back in, go out again, until he follows her inside.
They are all sleeping. They barely got inside before they sacked out on the floor and couch. LOL Poor dogs, it was a big day for them!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's so nice to hear that he's making such good progress. It makes me smile to think of him happy in his new home w/ all his buddies and you! It was so sad to hear about him when you first told us all about finding the poor scared little guy and now look at him!

Ask a Question