An Observation

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks everyone! Yep, Pecan, that Skipper sounds like a hoot! Herding flies ... LOL And, I used to have Rat Terriers, they, like the Chihuahuas are large hearted dogs, thinking they are 10 times as big as they are, and take on the world! So funny, little dog tugging big boot down the steps.
It's so much fun reading and telling stories of our animals.
Yes, Jen, someone else mentioned the St. Bernard possibility. He has more of a pointed nose it seems to me, but the coloring is definitely like a St. Bernard. JW posted a pic of an Akita when I mentioned that, and he looks VERY similar in coloring to that dog, too. The tipped ears (they don't stand up) remind me of a collie, plus his coloring.
He is right now running to the kitchen, getting a mouthful of food, running back into the living room to eat it. Never had a dog do that, but my sister's dog does all the time, too. He's just very unique in his own way. And, since I was planning to get a "big" dog, doesn't matter how big he gets, he is welcome here. I used to have 2 Golden Retrievers, and miss their size and playfulness.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Now Lenny ... no talk of eating chihuahua's in this post. LOL You might have some angry owners showing up in MO! Unless of course you have little dogs in your neighborhood that are causing you problems. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, been a long time since anyone posted in this thread. Thought I'd resurrect it with a short video of Yukon. If you recall, he was the pup someone dumped at my house first part of March. He has become a wonderful dog. Now with my Boston Terrier pups, he is enjoying playing with them as well. Hopefully this video will work out! I think for some reason the end is another video that got attached, it's of a pair of killdeer that are nesting in the parking lot where I work. Yukon plays really well with the puppies, never hear them yelp because he's too rough, he seems to be very gentle with them.
http://www.youtube.c..._id=mexOU7485Gg
Well, heck, since you will see the male killdeer rushing to his mates side, I might as well show you the other video of the male doing his "come get me" dance to try to lure me away from his mate. Quite a show!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yukon loves those puppies and he seems a bit confused by the little pile they make and he wants to jump in w/ them but he's just too big,lol!
Neat to watch the kildeer and we have had them try to nest here but no more as they learned that the crows are too abundant here and always get the eggs.........darn crows!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
We had a killdeer lay eggs in the lava rocks right next to the sidewalk coming into the offices. That was a chore, trying to keep them safe, as DCFS (Children and Family Services) clients walk right up that sidewalk! They made it, as someone put a post right next to her nest, and I guess everyone was nice that year. This pair put their nest on the outer edge of the parking lot, maybe a State Trooper or two has noticed it, but otherwise no one would. I found it walking past as I took my car across the street for oil change and walked back. They are VERY loud when you get near, but the female is fully aware I will not hurt her. I ususally have my back to her when I'm close. She has never felt the need to bail out on her nest when I'm close. I just wanted to capture the show on my camera. Now, if I could spot the little tykes when they hatch, that would be a fun video as well! Teeny tiny mirrors of their parents, run like the wind, very fast, and adorable.

Reaction score
Here are my pups

My Cheagle ( half chiwawa half beagle)
003-2.jpg

My Retriever and cat
DSC_0038-1.jpg

My lab
DSC_0032.jpg

gnh-1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Your pets are all adorable, Oldhead! Loved my Goldens. Had two, both died too young, one at age 8 of a heart issue, the other at age 5 of some type of liver failure. Freak things for both, and I sure hated to see them go. But, now I have Yukon, so he will be my "big dog" fix for the time being. He's not going to get really big, maybe 40# or so, unless he really fills out next year, which is very possible.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
COUNTRY -- just found this thread. No, we don't have dogs -- we're cat people -- but I love all animals, so...... :)

Did you ever say how old the vet estimated Yukon to be when he [Yukon] found* you? You kept referring to him as "pup," but I couldn't tell by looking at him. You are so special to give him his forever home! It just breaks my heart to see abused & abandoned animals. I watch the "animal cops" shows on ANIMAL PLANET all the time. Just [no words come to mind] the way some people treat their pets: from horses to birds, to reptiles!!!! Shoot, I feel guilty if I kill a wasp!

We have 5 cats. Two are Tonkinese, and 3 are "rescues." Three cats used to be our limit [all indoor cats], then #4 came along. Three was still our limit ;) until #5 came along......but we'll stop at 5. Our first rescue was a kitten at a PETCO adopt-a-pet day. That was 9 years ago. Second rescue was 2 years ago @ LOWES. I was leaving the store, and there was a teeny tiny kitten in the parking lot! No idea where she came from [some have suggested she fell out from under someone's car]. Third rescue was just a little over 3 weeks ago. I was about to get on I-49 and saw a kitten walking along the shoulder. I circled back around, and luckily the kitten was still there. Was almost afraid to approach it as just knew it would run from me and dart into traffic. But instead, soon as it saw me, the tail went up and it was running into my arms! After that reception, there was NO WAY we weren't going to keep him! He was a little skinny and had a few abrasions on his head & back leg, so figure he'd been out there at least a day. But no idea if he was thrown out, or just how he got there. None of these cats was the least bit ferral, and are making the best of pets! We love our purebreds, but our "rescues" are every bit as special to us! And we didn't find them, they *found us (there's a more detailed story behind each, but I won't go into that)!!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice story TM and so happy to see how much you care for the critters and try to help them out!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yukon is doing great! That is great to hear. So happy and cute :)

Oldhead, great looking animals! I love the Chigal, reminds me of my chihuahua in a way. Really cute mix.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Mmathis, I love Tonkinese kitties!!! They have such unique personalities. They speak a thousand words are so smart and so friendly. My little Meezer is much like a Toninkese for being a mutt LOL.

My sister's male cat had kittens LOL she called me and said you ahve to take one before my husband kills me. They arlready had 4 cats, 2 dogs, 4 horses, and countless chickens.

So I took my little Alpha and have loved him since the day we met. :)

12-18-06_1832-2.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I love the Siamese breed of cat. Have had several types and they do have character.

Sam and Felix

IMG_0202.JPG

Lolly and kittens

Lollie, Felix and kids.jpg

Ask a Question