Another Alage Question

Reaction score
I will look up the bio filter you are talking about. If that is all you use and have clear water I sure would like to see it and try it. Thank you for the tip. Also in answer to other questions, I don't have a pond vac but I did suck out a lot of stuff last night with a hose, it worked good. But then I had to add water, I am hoping this will help some. Thanks for the tips.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
The chemists must love you.

Well, maybe. I love the fact that my pond is clear, fish are healthy and my plants are all thriving. My pond is brand new, I was instructed that it may take some of this to get it properly stabilized.

I don't intend to always add this stuff, but I need to get it settled now, then I can go Au Naturale....:icon_mrgreen:

Reaction score
I have a question for DrDave and DrCase. Both of your filter are very interesting. Very much like mine but a much bigger. First question, where can I obtain such a large barrel, and second, do you guys clean these filters out? If I can find the right stuff that might be a good soultion for me, a larger filter.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
A 2 inch ball dump valve at the bottom and 45 seconds is all it takes to clean it once a week in the summer. I don't even get my hands wet.

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice! This is my third pond and the only one I seem to be having trouble with... It keeps turning into pea soup!

I have a pond about 30 X 20 feet and 8,000 gallons of water. There are 12 large Koi in it. Each spring I drain it and scrub it, use bacteria and some sea salt (or a salt lick) because our water is very hard and add barley extract. At first it looks great and within a week- it is green again. I use a filter in the skimmer and need to rinse it everyday or it gets clogged. I put in a large UV clarifier which worked great for a couple of weeks. There are at least 8 water lilies in the pond but they don't look very healthy and I think not just because they were wrecked during spawning. I get a foam on the pond during spawning and often after a rain.

It gets sun in the daytime but is shaded by 3:00 each day. The nitrates test fine but the ph is high and the water is very hard, even with salt added (I am going to add more). I recently used a ph decreaser and that helped for a few days but the ph is high again. I have string algae but not the long stringy kind I got from former ponds- it is more clumping-and an algae that covers the rocks and has the same feel as string algae- floating algae and a lot of muck. I am again doing a partial water change... any other ideas???!!! I would greatly appreciate any help! Thanks.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Like Olee i have used Algefix with good results in the past to keep the alge down,,I would give it a good dose and then just a little each week to keep every thing under control .... But with 3 drums and a fines filter the sides of my pond are not even green ..
I got all of my drums from a agri air strip ..

Reaction score
I did use Algaefix and then followed up with Ecofix. You will have to scoop out the dead algae (I used a minnow net). On my first application, the skimmer got full of what looks like a thin layer of a thick clear substance and brown coated bubbles, I just scooped it out. It took about 1 day for my pond to clear up, then I did my second dose (per instructions). I then followed up with Ecofix and used it per instructions. I now have used a Barley extract (per instructions) and my pond has been beautifully clear. I just got back from a 1-1/2 week vacation and expected a cloudy pond, but it was perfect. My pond was a brand new build and I was told that it would take some time to get it stable, now that it is I have had no problems.

I was told to get some snails and will do so now that I am no longer adding chemicals. I did not want to use the chems, but it worked well for me and now I am au-naturale.

Reaction score
If you have a lot of area exposed to sunlight, you may want to try a tint. I also used a 1/4 dose of blue tint until my plants grew more plentiful.

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
So after reading this, is it safe to say that EcoFix is similiar to Microbelift PL?? I'm battling a string algae problem and need to get it under control..Was going to use the AlgaeFix\Eco Fix combo.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Manage your string algae by pulling out the excess. Mother nature will take care of the rest when it has run its course.

Reaction score
I added an extension to my pond last April. I now have a semi-raised pond bed that feeds into a creek which flows into the main pond.

I've noticed that I have problems with string algae in the creek, the raised pond, and the shallow bog gardens ... but the bulk of the main pond is clear.

I think that the koi have been eating the string algae. I noticed one of my fish trying to slither through the shallow water of the bog garden last night. All of the submerged plants that I had planted on the plant shelves such as Anacharis and Cabomba have disappeared. I've also noticed that frogbits, these small lily pad like floating plants, have also been vanishing.

I only have three koi but they're amazingly destructive.

I almost wish I had game fish in the pond instead of koi. I could always eat the game fish.

Ask a Question