Another shooting close to our home

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Chicago is a beautiful city that's blighted by gangs. I don't know how or what anyone can do to control it if they are intent on killing each other but the real tragedy is stories like this when innocent people get caught up in their violence.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I'm not sure if society is more violent in general or if just seems so because of the availability of new media.
What would it have been like if Twitter or Facebook was around in the days of Hitler, Pol Pot, Al Capone or Genghis Kahn?
Human nature is what it is.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):

I tell my husband this all the time - he is a news junky and is convinced the world is going to hell in a handbasket. I think it's more that we have a 24 hour news cycle and they have to fill all that air time with "news". I remember when the news was Walter Cronkite for 15 minutes at 6PM and that was IT until the next day. Unless it happened in your town or neighborhood, you didn't hear all the minute details of every crime that happened every where all day long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
I dont watch tv or follow any news or papers. We found no value in all that seems to be bad news only. I read what I want and have not had cable tv since 1989. I would not know if one side of world blew up and you know what I like it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
And today a shooting with several fatalities in my town, Cincinnati :( My step son works in the building it happened in...fortunately he was working from home today....father of three and loving husband.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
he is a news junky and is convinced the world is going to hell in a handbasket

I have to agree with your hubby whole heartedly!!!!!!!! And I'll leave it there

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
And today a shooting with several fatalities in my town, Cincinnati :( My step son works in the building it happened in...fortunately he was working from home today....father of three and loving husband.
Tula. I saw that in the news today. It's really terrible. Hopefully your stepson is doing okay as it can affect a lot of people in different ways. Re: The shooting by us. We don't live in a dangerous area. In fact a policeman told one of our grown kids recently that we are in the lowest crime district in Chicago and one of the safest.... yet last year a teacher leaving the school she worked at was shot and killed and another person sitting in a Starbucks was killed by random gunfire. These were all within a mile or so of where we live. I don't know what the answer is. You have teenagers running around with guns shooting at each other with total disregard to who gets shot. They place a low value on human life and are living in a fantasy world that what they are doing is acceptable.
This is from a recent trial from two kids that were involved with murdering Hadiya Pendleton. She was a 15 year old girl that had performed for President Obama just days before she was murdered. The shooters just shot into a schoolyard with kids without thinking who might get shot or killed.
https://abc7chicago.com/hadiya-pend...ckiael-wards-confession-video-played/4017399/
I don't think it is just the media run amuck.. over 500 people are murdered in Chicago every year. I don't think that number is acceptable. It doesn't bother people until it hits close to home. If it is in the bad neighborhoods then people think it's no big deal but when it's close to where you work or live than it's a different story. My wife couldn't sleep last night because she felt so bad about the NU student being killed. It's not the greatest neighborhood where he was killed with some petty crime, but it's not like anyone would ever think they could be shot and killed there. Our daughters took the train from close to that street all the time when they were younger and I drive through that area all the time and have a construction job right down the street.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not sure if society is more violent in general or if just seems so because of the availability of new media.
What would it have been like if Twitter or Facebook was around in the days of Hitler, Pol Pot, Al Capone or Genghis Kahn?
Mitch. I grew up in Chicago. I have heard plenty of stories over the years about violence and crimes but it has never been this bad with all the shootings. Without a doubt there is way more serious violence than ever before. I have a construction job where we need to pick up bullet casings outside the building after the weekends and it's not even that bad of an area. There are nice middle class homes all around and even a few of my favorite craft breweries just down the street. There are gang bangers who hang out by the building often who are more than likely responsible for the gunfire. I asked a hispanic construction worker that works with us if he ever talked to them. He said yes. I asked if he spoke to them in Spanish. He said: " no! They all speak English and are US citizens."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Crime has always been around, the violence seems to be increasing. People blame guns but guns don't kill, the people wielding the guns that don't respect life are the ones that kill.

Ask a Question