Another BP Oil Spill

Reaction score
Had a bit of a bad oil spill this morning. Was having problems with one of my sump pumps that I use for my temp skimmer set up. As I was taking it apart next to the pond I didn't think of it being an oil encased pump. As I popped the case off about a cup of oil spilled into the pond. I have a big pond but, it spread a rainbow film across 3/4's of the pond.

All morning I have spent skimming the surface that has drained out about 10,000 gallons to try and clean up the mess. Weird thing is, my fish immediately started sucking at the surface liked they liked the stuff. I've got most of it cleaned up but there still is a little bit left. Anybody else have an oil spill? What do you think will happen to my fish?

Feel like an idiot and really ticks me off. Hope it does not kill my fish, plants and other pond inhabitants.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
That Sounds like a mess
Dont kick yourself to hard
I dont know what effect it will have on the fish, But Having a large pond is going to help you

I have a old little giant pump that seeps a little oil
I only use it as a non pond sump pump now

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I had a sump pump leak as well. They use mineral oil in most of them. I spent about 4 hours with a bucket, skimming the surface and throwing away floating plants. No harm came to anything except my back for all that bending over.

Ask a Question