Another Lotus Question....

Reaction score
I know you're not supposed to cut dead leaves below the water surface lest you drown the plant. But what about the dead leaves attached to the plant that float on the surface?

The tuber part of the "tuber" (I have two plants,one started from tuber and the other from seed) lotus that I originally asked about is now shriveled and black/brown. The large growing tip is also shriveled and brown. BUT, there are 4 new leaves that have peaked through the sand - they're a bit pale but they look sturdy. Because of that, I don't think the plant is dead, just the tuber I planted and the leaves attached to it appear to be dying (if that makes sense).

But what do I do about those floating rotting leaves...?:confused:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have cut a few, but it might be better to just let them go away naturally, they are separate from my pond, that is what I am doing now.

The tuber does best just sitting on the planting medium, not buried, it will make roots and attach it self. I used a rock to hold them down onto the clay, until the roots developed. Have two flower buds that just showed up. So excited!

DSC01596.jpg

Reaction score
I have no such luck with Lotus. I've yet to get one to grow properly in my pond. Maybe not enough sunlight? I can't figure it out. Leaves turn brown and die. I have some new leave shoots coming up out of the dirt, but I've never got one to flower. I have no problem with water lilies though.

Are lotus supposed to be dropped deep into the pond or in more shallow water?

BTW - I've always cut the dead leaves off of the plant (the ones floating on the water).

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Try to not cut leaves off until the stem itself has turned brown, the when you do cut them leave about 1 inch aove the water surface. cut stalks allows water to go down the the tuber itself and can actually drown a Lotus when it is growing. The lotus should be planted in water that is 2-10" deep. Once the first leaves rise above the water surface start feeding. They should be fed about once every three to four weeks. In a 30 gallon container I use three to four tablets per feeding every three weeks. So far this year I've had about 20 blooms and still have more coming up. They do like plenty of sun light. 6-8 hours is what most recommend. I've found the more you leave them alone the better they do, Other than feeding.....lol

Reaction score
Thanks! My pond gets about 6 hours of sun (at least where I have the lotus). It is possible that my container is not big enough. I'm not sure how big the pot is - I think it's a a 20" square mesh-type pot. I've added 2 fertilizer tablets when I first got the plant 3 weeks ago

Reaction score
BTW - fishin4cars, I notice that you have a 2500 gal pond - I know this is off subject, and I'm sorry for hijacking the thread, but can I ask what, if any, kind of UV clarifier you use and how many watts? I'm using a tetrapond 9 watt and just figured out its not nearly enough wattage for my pond. Hard to get an exact measurement on my pond, as it's irregular shaped (20 feet long, 8 feet wide at one part, 6 feet wide at another part, and then 2 and 4 feet wide at the ends, then 2 1/2 and 3 feet deep throughout). I'm guessing about 2000 gallons

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ermasdaughter said:
I know you're not supposed to cut dead leaves below the water surface lest you drown the plant. But what about the dead leaves attached to the plant that float on the surface?

The tuber part of the "tuber" (I have two plants,one started from tuber and the other from seed) lotus that I originally asked about is now shriveled and black/brown. The large growing tip is also shriveled and brown. BUT, there are 4 new leaves that have peaked through the sand - they're a bit pale but they look sturdy. Because of that, I don't think the plant is dead, just the tuber I planted and the leaves attached to it appear to be dying (if that makes sense).

But what do I do about those floating rotting leaves...?:lol:

mine were having a real yellow problem, I added more fertilizer, some steel wool, they started greening right up.

One of the five plants in the stock tank is still struggling, yellow leaves, small, but now finally shooting some above the water. No clue what the tuber looks like I don't want to disturb it.

When you say your leaves are coming out of the sand did you bury the tuber? Or place on the sand and let it root?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lauragal said:
Thanks! My pond gets about 6 hours of sun (at least where I have the lotus). It is possible that my container is not big enough. I'm not sure how big the pot is - I think it's a a 20" square mesh-type pot. I've added 2 fertilizer tablets when I first got the plant 3 weeks ago

Depends on the size of the plant, I know some that plant them in 55 gallon drums. I have mine in the tubs with the rope handles (5 bucks at walmart) then the tubs were put into a 300 gallon stock tank, i have five tubs in the stock tank.

I have heard 24-36 inches is the size to aim for for the big lotus.

Reaction score
Mine are in the same containers abby1 uses. Despite my worries, they both seem to be doing okay - I'm thinking that the tuber I planted didn't like it's new home but was established enough to have runners and that's what I;m seeing now....

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Give it time, mine have just taken off as we have warmed up. Once the leaves break the surface and are above water it really starts to grow.

ermasdaughter, I put the smaller containers into the stock tank, buried the stock tank so they can over winter here. They will do that if the tuber does not freeze.

Ask a Question