Another shooting close to our home

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Even in Vancouver B.C. with our restricted gun laws there are shootings almost daily. The criminals and gangs will always get guns even when they are restricted to carry and purchase.
Sure am glad I moved to a small town, but even then there has been some gun issues here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@CometKeith my son lives in Portage Park - he discovered a stray bullet lodged in one of his window frames a few months ago. The police said it was probably fired from blocks away and luckily didn't go through the window and hit anyone inside the house. I agree with you - it's unacceptable. But the solution seems out of reach... so frustrating.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@CometKeith my son lives in Portage Park - he discovered a stray bullet lodged in one of his window frames a few months ago. The police said it was probably fired from blocks away and luckily didn't go through the window and hit anyone inside the house. I agree with you - it's unacceptable. But the solution seems out of reach... so frustrating.
Lisa. The area we are working in is Logan Square near Fullerton and Pulaski. I wouldn't say it's a bad neighborhood but there are obviously some gang issues there. I'm not against guns. My father carried a gun his whole life because he had a a store in a "bad" neighborhood and sometimes I carried one when I worked with him.... but how do you get guns out of these kids hands? Arrest every gang member in the city??? Everytime someone gets shot or a kid is caught the family comes on tv and says what a good kid they were.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Arrest every gang member in the city???

I know - it seems like it's literally unstoppable. And how often do you hear the shooters are young teens - 14, 15, 16 year olds walking around with guns like it's a real life video game, feeling invincible. And more times than not it's an innocent bystander who gets caught in the crossfire.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My opinion is crime has always been in existence as long as humans. Perhaps the nature, and theme of crimes have changed along the way. My sister works with teenagers who have lived a life in deplorable conditions, with a life of such abuse it's nauseating to think of, at a legal age when these kids are on their own, they are functional in a physical way to have a job, but emotionally they never developed the more positive emotions such as empathy. Sad to say but eventually a lot these children end up in jail after committing petty and serious crimes, and even more sad is the innocent victim of the serious crime. If you think of the number of children trafficked each year, which can be up to 300,000 each year in this country alone, that is a lot of damaged adults for the future, when you walk down a city street, the chances are, you have walked passed one of these kids or even one of those kids now grown to adulthood. Is does not excuse violence or provide them an excuse as violence of a serious nature should never be justified. There is also crime without reason which should just never happen, perpetrated by people from good homes also. I guess the avenue into crime has broadened and changed on many levels, and the media is a lot more accessible for us to be aware of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Tula. I saw that in the news today. It's really terrible. Hopefully your stepson is doing okay as it can affect a lot of people in different ways. Re: The shooting by us. We don't live in a dangerous area. In fact a policeman told one of our grown kids recently that we are in the lowest crime district in Chicago and one of the safest.... yet last year a teacher leaving the school she worked at was shot and killed and another person sitting in a Starbucks was killed by random gunfire. These were all within a mile or so of where we live. I don't know what the answer is. You have teenagers running around with guns shooting at each other with total disregard to who gets shot. They place a low value on human life and are living in a fantasy world that what they are doing is acceptable.
This is from a recent trial from two kids that were involved with murdering Hadiya Pendleton. She was a 15 year old girl that had performed for President Obama just days before she was murdered. The shooters just shot into a schoolyard with kids without thinking who might get shot or killed.
https://abc7chicago.com/hadiya-pend...ckiael-wards-confession-video-played/4017399/
I don't think it is just the media run amuck.. over 500 people are murdered in Chicago every year. I don't think that number is acceptable. It doesn't bother people until it hits close to home. If it is in the bad neighborhoods then people think it's no big deal but when it's close to where you work or live than it's a different story. My wife couldn't sleep last night because she felt so bad about the NU student being killed. It's not the greatest neighborhood where he was killed with some petty crime, but it's not like anyone would ever think they could be shot and killed there. Our daughters took the train from close to that street all the time when they were younger and I drive through that area all the time and have a construction job right down the street.

Ironic she was sheltering from a rain storm, just as you were the other day. I can't imagine the pain and shock her poor mother felt upon learning the news.

The 25 year old man who was killed here yesterday, was from India and had no family here. The coroner called to personally tell them the news. I know the coroner as her children attended my pre-school...she is Indian and a wonderful person. I'm glad the parents at least heard it from her in their native language.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@CometKeith - my daughter works with a number of people who live in RP, one who lives on the street that you can see in the video. They are all naturally terrified. I hope that the very clear video evidence will make someone realize that they know this guy and come forward. As has been noted in the news articles, he has a very distinctive gait, both walking and running. If that were one of my sons, I would recognize him by body type and stance alone. Let's hope someone does the right thing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Shootings are bad but the word "serial killer" sends a chill down my spine!
I would be locked up in the house until they catch this guy!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The worst thing here is Kaine and his roll in allowing the MS13 gang to control Roanoke VA .He turns a blind eye to gang members and only time he addresses it is during election time ,same with the health care here .These politicians only do something when they want elected .At least the new chief of police in Danville has been addressing it since he came into office by doing weekly neighborhood walks with officers and talking to people to see what he can do to resolve any problems people have in their neighborhoods

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@CometKeith - my daughter works with a number of people who live in RP, one who lives on the street that you can see in the video. They are all naturally terrified. I hope that the very clear video evidence will make someone realize that they know this guy and come forward. As has been noted in the news articles, he has a very distinctive gait, both walking and running. If that were one of my sons, I would recognize him by body type and stance alone. Let's hope someone does the right thing.
It's on the national news now. it's so sad when you read about the people he killed. We moved back into the city last year and now I kinda wonder why. I actually went for a long walk the night one of the people were killed. I wondered if it might be dangerous to walk by the lake and decided not to. I definitely would never consider it now. We are over a mile away from these shootings, but still so scary that it could have been myself or one of our family members that was murdered. It's bad enough that there is random gunfire killing people let alone someone deliberately shooting and murdering people.

Ask a Question