Another "bog" question.....depth for water

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If an upflow bog is 12" deep [meaning, that's where the top of the construction is], with 2" PVC pipe, how deep do you want the water to be, and how much gravel should be ABOVE water level?

IMG_0040.JPG

Reason I ask, when I made my turtle bog, I installed the water return a few inches below the top of the bog. Was digging through the gravel yesterday, and realized that I didn't actually bury the PVC pipe at 12" -- it's more like 10" -- which means I only have about 4" - 6" of functional water level. For now, I'm stuck with the depth and with having the outflow where it is, but there are a few things I can do to raise the water level. Just curious....
. IMG_0041.JPG

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It really depends on plant selection. In a typical 'bog' the gravel can be re-positioned as needed to create mounds or constantly submerged depressions. Not sure how much lateral space you have to work with, so this may not be a realistic option for you. How is the present outflow set up?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Can you provide pics? As Meyer asked about out flow. Can you adjust the height?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I built up my bog about a foot higher than the pond to get the gravel depth to 2.5 ft. There is a gravel base of 8 inches below the 2" pvc pipe. I too was concerned about having enough depth for root development and purposely designed the bog for that reason.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
not sure if my bog pics will help as ever pond set up is different but may churn those MacGyver gears going. I have an overflill outtake in my bog i can adjust the water level with for when i shut off the stream/falls for winter bypass also acts as a clog warning . I can adjust the level the water needs to rise before it goes to the bypass

Attachments

• marked.jpg
    marked.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 257

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It really depends on plant selection. In a typical 'bog' the gravel can be re-positioned as needed to create mounds or constantly submerged depressions. Not sure how much lateral space you have to work with, so this may not be a realistic option for you. How is the present outflow set up?
Can you provide pics? As Meyer about out flow. Can you adjust the height?
If you can tell anything from my little drawing....... And the overall bog is 6' x 3'. I can't [at this time] do anything structurally, but may be able to attach a cap to the PVC and drill holes closer to the top. This would let it fill with more water before flowing into the pond. Water returns to the pond via 4" PVC pipe -- my idea of an underground stream. Maybe in a year or 2 I can rip it out and start over. This is my turtle bog, so primary concern is for fresh water for the turtles.

Pics to follow....

Attachments

• IMG_9981.JPG
    IMG_9981.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_9988.JPG
    IMG_9988.JPG
    304.5 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 232
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If you can tell anything from my little drawing....... And the overall bog is 6' x 3'. I can't [at this time] do anything structurally, but may be able to attach a cap to the PVC and drill holes closer to the top. This would let it fill with more water before flowing into the pond. Water returns to the pond via 4" PVC pipe -- my idea of an underground stream. Maybe in a year or 2 I can rip it out and start over. This is my turtle bog, so primary concern is for fresh water for the turtles.

Pics to follow....
the wier outlet is that how water leaves the bog? if so add a few inches of pipe to it to raise the water line prior to leaving the bog.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Angel @Meyer Jordan Thanks, and that's kind what I had in mind, but still wondering what is the best depth for the water.....

Addressed that earlier. It depends on the plant selection. Most true Bog plants grow in saturated soil but very rarely is there any water over the crown of the plant, Those plants that are typically used in a 'bog' may tolerate anywhere from 0 - 12 inches of water. I would set the outflow at the level of the top of the gravel. You can then dig depressions to accommodate various planting depths.

Ask a Question