Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My son took this pic not far from here-Bald Eagle:

Eagle at Langus river park- Ethan took pic.JPG

This one is not welcome at my pond-Great Blue Heron:

IMG_1267.JPG

This guy we rescued yrs ago when living in Forks, Wa. He recouped and we returned him to the ocean- gull:

Forks gull 2.jpg

Haro sends these down our way regularly-Canadian Goose,lol!:

Canadian Goose 1.JPG

Pretty visitors by my pond:

IMG_1752.JPG

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
j.w.; I figure it's only fair... You've been sending me all this rain!
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Touche'...............but wait if that's true then we must send you the sunshine also,lol!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
We have a lot of wildlife around here. For birds we have:
2 bluejays.
Lots of robins (and I mean a lot).
Sparrows.
Woodpeckers (wakes us up by pecking under the eaves).
Crows (rare).
Heron(s) that ate one of my fish before so that my pond is fully covered in nets now.

A deer that jumped into the pond after I spooked him.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
JohnHuff I'm sending you more crows (devils w/ wings,lol) as I have way too many and you need more,lol! They can be trouble makers!

Reaction score
:heartpump: :heartpump: :heartpump: :heartpump: :heartpump: :heartpump: :heartpump: :heartpump: :heartpump: :heartpump: I'm jealous !

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
JohnHuff I'm sending you more crows (devils w/ wings,lol) as I have way too many and you need more,lol! They can be trouble makers!
No thank you! Crows seem to hang out where there's a lot of human activity, like in commercial areas where they can find a lot of refuse. In our neighborhood where there are more trees they don't hang around because there isn't any free food!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'll be visiting this thread often, to see pretty pics and hear people's stories about birds they have in their areas. Since I moved to my present house 3 years ago, I hate that there are very few birds that come to my yard. The reason is that for a mile in every direction, I'm surrounded by farmed fields. No woods for over a mile. And, the only large trees in that area are about 5 in my yard, but that's not enough for most birds. I do love my barn swallows. I have at least 5 pair so far this year. My barns welcome them, and I make sure nothing is under their nesting sites (like round bales of hay) to allow the cats easy pickings into their nests.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
JohnH, don't know why those crows hang around here cuz we are in the country w/ trees all around us. I always see them eating something in the grass, maybe worms or grubs or? They rob the nests of other birds of eggs and their babies! It's sad :sad:

CE I love those barn swallows also or maybe that's not what we used to get but they looked like some kind of swallows. I love the way they swoop down and then way up and all around. Looks like they are having a lot of fun! The pecking woodpeckers banging on our gutters calling for a mate sometimes wake me in the early morning and it drives me nuts! It's ok if it's off in the distance but when it's under my window it's like someone is running a jackhammer,lol!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a bunch of wood peckers, only hear them banging on trees, so far no house gutter pecking.
We have crows, starlings. Huge vultures.

Yesterday, out working on the garden, heard the hawks crying, looked up and had 6 riding the air waves above me, calling out to each other. It was so neat. They sure make enough noise, no clue how they ever catch anything to eat. Non stop crying out, even when sitting in trees.

Every now and then see the mockingbirds chasing the hawks, doing the dive bomb attack method.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Our neighbors rooftop dwellers- turkey vultures. They don't seem interested in the ponds but you don't see any dead animals around here!
2nd one is a large woodpecker, I believe it is a piliated, but not sure.

Attachments

• IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0920.JPG
    IMG_0920.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 280

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Boy glad that is not our house or yours, their pee/poop is very acidic, hard on roofing materials. It is how they clean the yuck off their feet from what they eat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks so much for the pilated woodpecker pic, Mrs. Clem! I've never seen one of them, but my son always had stories of them when he deer hunts.
Why would those turkey vultures congregate on the rooftop??? Usually they find a dead tree to roost in every night as a group. Never seen them on rooftops.
Once, many years ago when I was city girl gone country (1981 to be exact LOL), there were 3 turkey vultures in our huge trees in the back yard, with wings spread out, like in a Halloween movie! Asked, and was told they were drying their wings. Had been a lot of rain that early a.m., and I guess that's how they "blow dried" their feathers.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Our developement has over 100 of these vultures. They normally roost in the trees at night and then move to the ground to warm their wings in the morning. Our neighbor doesn't believe in paying for trash pickup and goes to the dump once a week so I guess their house smells good!

Ask a Question