Anybody set up wireless cameras to watch their ponds when away?

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
I was just away for 10 days and really missed my pond. I had a neighbor walk over every couple days to check up on things. I also threw the net over while we were gone but this was my first time away from my new pond. So I was thinking of setting up 1-2 cameras so I can access the feed using my phone or iPad. Has anybody done this? If so what kind of cameras did you use. I would like to go wireless to make it easier.

Reaction score
It seems nothing happens to my pond unless we go away for the weekend. One time before the pond was all done we had a racoon pull up a hose and the level went down about 18”.

I put in a home security system. The resolution won’t be as good but it gives me 8 channels that record to a DVR. If I see something has been around I can go back and see who was doing what and where it came from. I have it set so I can see that the river and falls are flowing.

I can remotely log onto the unit from my iPhone, iPad or computer, and it is all recorded. In Canada they are about $500 for a 8 channel system. If you want wide angle cameras (like the top left) you will pay about $120 each.

CAMERAS_zpsb93df21a.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I want to do the same. Addy has a camera set-up, but don't know if it's wireless or how it's connected. Addy, where are you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I actually did this with a dlink wireless camera. Some of my neighbors thought i was a little obsessed however......

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
The setups I have seen are setup so you can view the cameras from a web page. Which means you will be running a web server.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a wireless camera, the update is a little jerky. I prefer the q-see system wired, 8 cameras, one is a ptz, ie you can move it around. The rest are fixed focus. So far it has saved our pond twice while we were gone. I log in to check it out. I had our neighbor come over to search for a leak once, (level dropped by 7 inches) I was able to follow her around the pond with the ptz camera and tell her what to check. She found the leak. It is nice to know all is well at home when you are away, esp with a pond setup. With our underwater camera I can check on the fish too, mainly check water levels, water falls flow, which indicates pumps running, etc. Pond wellness check.

You need to have always on internet, no extra cost to you other than the internet service. I did not need to build a web page, just use the q see system.

The system cost around 300 bucks 1tb harddrive and 8 cameras, cheaper now actually, we have had it for about 3 years.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
HTH said:
I have seen underwater ones that would be neat to watch. Wonder how often one has to de-slime the lens ?
depends on how helpful the fish are, we have a few that eat anything that grows on the lens, we call them the lens cleaners. I clean the lens, during the summer, every few weeks or so.

Reaction score
gardengimp said:
EH - how do you remotely log into a DVR? And what / whose system is it?
I am using a brand called Eaglestar pro. CCTV DVR systems are becoming really popular and chap. I just upgraded my DVR. My new one will record at a higher resolution. This new one will allow me to do synchronous playback. I love that if I see that there was an animal in my yard and I can playback 4 cameras at the same time to see where it goes. My old system I could only play one recorded channel at a time.

These systems are made for remote access. When you setup the network portion of the DVR you will need to configure it to your home network. If you have a static IP (issued by your internet provider and it does not change) it would be straight forward; you would just add that IP address into the DVR. It sounds like Addy has a static IP. I have a dynamic IP address (my provider changes my IP now and again without warning). I use a DNS service to keep my IP address updated in both my home server and DVR. Basically this allows me to use a free domain name for my home network i.e. john.serves-beer.com. I would enter the this rather than a IP address in the network settings. The catch with a DNS service from what I know (maybe things have changed) is that in order for the DNS service to update my IP it needs to have a small program running on a computer within your network. This has never been an issue for me because I have a home server and it runs 24/7. Some DVR’s come with a free DNS service. Does that mean it has something in the DVR to do this updating automatically? That would be a question to ask when shopping around.

Most systems will be able to log right in to the DVR from a web page. The DVR will also come with software you can install onto your laptop. There are also lots of free apps to install onto your iPhone, iPad etc.

These units will not have the same picture resolution as a computer setup, but in my opinion much more flexible. It really is nice to be able to check in and see that everything is running ok when you are away.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use a DNS service supplied by the company that made the dvr. My provider started changing my ip addy all of the time. With the DNS that is a non issue. I have a ap on the phone, log in from anywhere to check the pond, property and house. Just love it. Currently we have 8 cameras running, it is around 3 years old, honey said it is time to upgrade, so we might do that.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
I use a DNS service supplied by the company that made the dvr. My provider started changing my ip addy all of the time. With the DNS that is a non issue. I have a ap on the phone, log in from anywhere to check the pond, property and house. Just love it. Currently we have 8 cameras running, it is around 3 years old, honey said it is time to upgrade, so we might do that.
I am with your “honey” as the newer systems have a lot more functions in them, however I don’t believe my new system has the built in DNS. I did not look as I am already using a DNS service. That is a big thing to look at when buying a new unit. If you don’t have any other systems needing it you want it built in. Your system probably is like my old system too where it recorded in CIF resolution (352X240). The newer systems will record at a D1 resolution (704 x 480).

Did your PTZ camera come with your package? When I priced some out they were really expensive. I would love one though.

Reaction score
I also have a DVR surveillance system. I don't know if it's a common service, but the last two internet service providers I've used set me up with a static IP for free when I requested it. I know they can be reluctant to do that it you want to use it to run a website from your home, or at least they might want to charge you more, but if you explain you just want it to have access to your home surveillance system they seem to be accommodating. At least that's been my experience.
My pond is pretty secure and not very big, so I only have one camera that is pointed at the pond, the rest I have pointed around my property and use them to keep an eye out for the most dangerous and unpredictable animals on the planet...... Humans. :angry:

I've been waiting to upgrade to a high definition system, but the price still hasn't dropped enough yet. But the standard camera DVRs are so cheap now everyone who is concerned enough to lock their doors and protect their family really ought to have one set up at their home.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Some ISPs charge for static IP's and others don't. A DVR is a dedicated computer system. Most of them are running some flavor of linux. As far as I know there is no reason a PC based system should not work as well as a DVR based one. But I can believe that many/most/maybe all don't.

Ask a Question