API Pond Melafix - does it make fish lethargic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I had to add in some Melaifx to the pond as I could see my female shub with open wounds as well as flesh from tail missing.
Injuries possibly down to spawning activities and also now the only female in the brood.
It's only been the first dose and read instructions on how much to add to water. Soon as added, water foamed as mentioned in instructions but few hours later, the injured shub seems very lethargic.

Thought I'd lost her but soon as I placed the net in to remove from pond, swam away.

Is this normal since the other fish seem absolutely fine atm, just the injured one has me concerned.

I did try to net her out but thinking could stress her more.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It’s more likely due to her injuries and level of stress than to the medication. If you have something to use as a quarantine tank, it might be a good idea to separate her from the other fish.

I just saw @mrsclem note. She has more experience with injured fish than I do.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had to treat an entire pond with Melafix and Pimafix several years ago. Lost 75% of my fish. Some fish were fine but most of survivors has serious fin and tail rot. It was rough but most made it thru.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to treat an entire pond with Melafix and Pimafix several years ago. Lost 75% of my fish. Some fish were fine but most of survivors has serious fin and tail rot. It was rough but most made it thru.

That's pretty depressing as I thought, reading from other web sites, this is the solution to use but sounds like pretty dangerous stuff.
it feels like to be used for more breaking new fish in to your ponds after purchasing rather than to fix the fish that need attention.

Either way, too late to stop as just started the medicine (if you can call it that) and just need to see if she makes it through the night and onwards.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had fish that had severe damage including tails rotted off. Amazingly, some fish were not affected. Still have one whos tail was a bloody stump, now a short cute tail.

L

Lin

I did that once and same thing happened so I took Methane Blue and squirted it on the fish boo boo as it swam by. It worked because the fish was moving so slow. It did cure him. He looked a little messy for awhile because of the blue staining ,but the stain went away over time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well this morning news is the sick fish is still breathing and able to swim but resting all day. I'll make sure she's comfortable and not attempt to move or do anything apart from continuing the dosing of melafix.

Hang on girl....

Ask a Question