sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not sure about it's use in a pond as it may feed algae or harm fish maybe the experts on here will chime in .I know I use neem on my plants but have never used it in the pond .I use it on my fruit trees

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Neem IS toxic to fish and other aquatic organisms.

Aquatic plants, especially lilies, prefer a heavy soil as planting substrate. Lilies do amazingly well in pure clay. Sand is a poor choice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Neem IS toxic to fish and other aquatic organisms.

Aquatic plants, especially lilies, prefer a heavy soil as planting substrate. Lilies do amazingly well in pure clay. Sand is a poor choice.
Thanks I understand now, it needs something good to absorb and provide nutrients and clay is best option.
Hey here's one more question, For a fishless pond which water is much better for plants among these two- the condanced water from AC or the tap water?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks I understand now, it needs something good to absorb and provide nutrients and clay is best option.
Hey here's one more question, For a fishless pond which water is much better for plants among these two- the condanced water from AC or the tap water?
I would vote for tap water.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What about chloramine? Can plants make it pure?

When exposed to sunlight, Chloramine will eventually disassociate in water into Chlorine and Ammonia. The Chlorine quickly evaporates and the Ammonia is oxidized by Ammonia Oxidizing Bacteria. Some Ammonia is directly assimilated by plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
When exposed to sunlight, Chloramine will eventually disassociate in water into Chlorine and Ammonia. The Chlorine quickly evaporates and the Ammonia is oxidized by Ammonia Oxidizing Bacteria. Some Ammonia is directly assimilated by plants.
That's nice. I'm asking it because I want it all to go like a natural pond without any additives, filters etc if I put fishes after some days will it be safe then?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Because the disassociation rate of Chloramine is dependent on several variable factors. I would allow a minimum of 14 days (2 weeks). Even then consideration must be given to treating any water that is added after that to replace that lost to evaporation. Much simpler to just treat the water with a Chloramine neutalizer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Hey I found pottery clay is available much cheaper than the kitty litter here. I think this is pure clay and will be much better than kitty litter.
What do you think?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hey I found pottery clay is available much cheaper than the kitty litter here. I think this is pure clay and will be much better than kitty litter.
What do you think?
You are not likely to find a planting substrate that is a better choice. Many aquatic plants eventually suffer Iron deficiency. This will not happen with any Red clay as it is usually around 5% -10% iron (hence the red color). Pottery clay should produce some quite healthy and robust plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
You are not likely to find a planting substrate that is a better choice. Many aquatic plants eventually suffer Iron deficiency. This will not happen with any Red clay as it is usually around 5% -10% iron (hence the red color). Pottery clay should produce some quite healthy and robust plants.
Thanks mate! You helped me making it all too easy. :)

Ask a Question