Whats the best soil for replanting aquatic plants?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi guys,

I'm trying to find the right soil for re-potting my lilipads. I'm in Dallas and it seems I never find the right soil or the best way to replant without it all floating away when I put it back in the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I used to use heavy clay soil from my yard - it was very much like what they came planted in. But the pots got so heavy I started experimenting. Now I use plain kitty litter - I get the cheapest stuff they sell at the dollar store - and plant in that. I top the pots off with some gravel and larger rocks to hold the tuber in until it firms up in the pot. I make sure to soak the pot really well before I put it in the pond and when I do I sink it slowly to avoid disturbing it.

I also have several lilies in pots with no dirt all - just a rock large enough up hold them in the pot. Those do great as well.

JBailey

Jack of all trades; master of some
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm about to pot up plants myself and got clay kitty litter to try. I'll top it with pea gravel I have on hand. Fingers crossed for happy plants!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So I used kitty litter for some plants, but as soon as the water hit it, it started bubbling profusely and formed an exothermic reaction. Is this normal?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It bubbles as the air escapes, pure kitty clay no additives. I have been using it for years. It also sends out a cloud of dust that clears up.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So I used kitty litter for some plants, but as soon as the water hit it, it started bubbling profusely and formed an exothermic reaction. Is this normal?

DO NOT use clumping kitty litter or any that has any additives for odor control. Use only plain kitty litter, the really cheap stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Everyone has a different approach. I avoid kitty litter or soil. Gravel or river rocks work best for me. I think the fewer things you put in your pond the better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think the fewer things you put in your pond the better.

Some people would say the same about rock and gravel I suppose. There's a school of thought that kitty litter (being 100% clay) is actually healthy for your pond. We buy koi clay to add to our pond for clarity and it's supposed to add important minerals for the fish - and that's just bentonite or montmorillonite clay.

I've used soil, I've used kitty litter, I've used gravel and rock- whatever works best for you is the way to go!

Ask a Question